A3...Bought the wrong engine

Reaction score
Bought my first Audi earlier this year, a 13 plate 1.6tdi Sportback, Brilliant Black in S line trim. Two things I regret:

Minor: Brilliant Black Paint - I'd read comments that this is a "soft" paint, I can only agree - been driving around like a vicar and I'm still picking up chipping marks on a regular basis.

Major: The engine - I'm guilty as charged of putting looks (of the S line) and the promise of economy of the 1.6 over "performance". Seduced, no doubt, by that period earlier in the year where diesel was about 5p a litre cheaper than unleaded. The lower gears on the 1.6 are fine, I'd even describe them as reasonably punchy but it's 5th and 6th that bug me, 6th in particular is lifeless. On a 280 mile journey back from the in-laws yeserday I was reflecting, whilst in the "slow lane" of the M1, that this is not a car that I would want to do a high motorway mileage in. I'm in no way a boy racer but it's just not me to be pootling along to the extent I am, I daren't consider overtaking at highish motorway speeds - I was actually looking forward to the 50mph restrictions.

To add some context I'm in my 40's and this is only the second diesel car I've ever owned. My previous car was a 1.8 petrol Astra (no sniggering - I actually liked it, had it 6 years). I don't do a big mileage but a high percentage (probably 70% ish is motorway miles).

I really like the A3 model though, particularly in S line which I really think makes the look of the car. What I'm considering doing (am I just being plain stupid here ?) is:

"Swapping" for a 1.4 Petrol (COD or otherwise, depending on budget). Would have to be metallic paint, S line, 63 or 14 plate and considerably less miles that the 1.6 which has done 40k plus.
Going to take a financial hit though so the more sensible me thinks put up with it for 2-3 years and don't get too envious when those two pipes cruise past in the right hand lane...
Lesson learnt though - prioritise engine over all other considerations. What do you reckon, stick or twist ?

Reactions: SJ43
That's a really interesting insight to buying a car. This is why it is so important to borrow a car from a dealer for a day or so to properly test drive in all sorts of driving conditions. A run around the block is never enough. A car is usually the second biggest material investment of your life.

Reactions: SJ43
The 1.4 140/150bhp variant from experience is a very good engine, it pulls really well in all gears from low rpm - you wouldn't be disappointed. Test drive (extended!) recommended.

"Swapping" for a 1.4 Petrol (COD or otherwise, depending on budget)

If you are worried about acceleration at motorway speeds I would suggest the COD is a far better option. the Standard 1.4TFSI will not be greatly different to the 1.6TDI.

1.6 TDI has more toque and therefore better in gear acceleration but a slower 0-62 compared to the standard 1.4 TFSI but overall on paper not a lot of difference between them...................long test drive of both is highly recommended as you might just end up buying a car you are not happy with again.

Reactions: burnleynotbarcelona
Yes, definitely a test drive on a motorway required.
So, avoid the standard (122 ?) 1.4 ? Not sure when the COD was introduced but might have a bit of a wait on that in my price range used.
Bit torn as there are some positives to the 1.6 tdi- not least that I'm getting 60 mpg + if I don't go above 65-70 mph on a longish motorway drive and that's with a full load.

Not sure when the COD was introduced

Was around the age of car you are looking for (63 plate, note the SB was only introduced mid 2013 for MY14), would check carefully though as in MY15 they changed the COD output from 140 to 150 BHP

Have you thought about the 2.0 150 TDI.

Great car with plenty of torgue for motorway work, I had one for around 18 months or so before getting my S3 and was managing long term low 50's MPG

I am not sure what you were expecting with a 1.6 diesel in 6th gear, sure diesels are good for torque but at the end of the day it's a 1.6 and 6th gear is all about economy so is a tall gear. Even I change down to 5th if I want to accelerate quickly in my mapped 3.0 TDI and that has nearly 3 times the torque of the 1.6.
I would get the 1.6 TDI mapped, keep the fuel economy but gain a whole load of performance.
If you are anywhere near Manchester Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments he can get a lot more out of these.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=38c9076755efd813c275f8e001a160bd&oe=56EF9295

Have a look on Ricks site October 14th 2014

https://www.facebook.com/UnicornMotorDevelopments/

Karl.

Stick.

You seem to have a vehicle that is working fine - no issues / concerns.
You may swap for a vehicle that has one of the many problems listed on this site.

5th / 6th gear is for cruising - you're probably in 70 / 80 mph territory, why do you need / want to go any faster.

Choice, as always, is yours to make.
Good Luck on whatever you go with.

As above sometimes better the devil you know, buying cars second hand always has issues. with the current VAG diesel scandal you may find it slightly more difficult to sell yours . The 1.4 TFSI engines have had issues with cam chains and oil consumption in the past, when were these resolved ?.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/a3-cod-1-4tfsi-problems.192849/

Yeah, probably being a bit daft but can't help thinking I should have stuck to petrol.
The tuning / remap option - I'm assuming insurance and warranty issues (only 6 months left so not a biggie). Any other potential pitfalls ?
It's not really about wanting to go faster, more about motorway overtaking (safely !) if that makes sense ? I just suppose I'm used to having a bit more in "reserve" at motorway speeds and I now notice uphill sections on motorways (put it that way !) It's definitely been an adjustment process for me, big change in my style of driving.

I've just bought an 1.6 TDI 110 and it's the first ever diesel I've owned. My last car was A1 1.4 TFSI 122 so had a fair bit of nip in it. Comparing the two cars though, I much prefer the 1.6 TDI now and I've only had it a couple of weeks. I find that 5th and 6th gear pretty much react the same as the A1 did just obviously with a lot less revs but more torque. I'd definitely say stick with the engine and like you said, a change in the style of driving as diesels have and always will drive different to pertrol :)

Reactions: spiros80
As you say Warranty isn't an issue, depending on your insurer a remap may not cost you a lot at all, some insurers don't seem to have problems with remaps, others might not want to insure the car.
Ask them and find out, certainly be a lot cheaper than switching cars. usually you find with remapped diesels that the miles per gallon stops about the same, unless you hoof it all over the place, but you get a lot more smiles per gallon.
With the mileage you do on a motorway you shouldn't really have any issues.

I've just bought an 1.6 TDI 110 and it's the first ever diesel I've owned. My last car was A1 1.4 TFSI 122 so had a fair bit of nip in it. Comparing the two cars though, I much prefer the 1.6 TDI now and I've only had it a couple of weeks. I find that 5th and 6th gear pretty much react the same as the A1 did just obviously with a lot less revs but more torque. I'd definitely say stick with the engine and like you said, a change in the style of driving as diesels have and always will drive different to pertrol :)
Interesting to note. Thanks

As you say Warranty isn't an issue, depending on your insurer a remap may not cost you a lot at all, some insurers don't seem to have problems with remaps, others might not want to insure the car.
Ask them and find out, certainly be a lot cheaper than switching cars. usually you find with remapped diesels that the miles per gallon stops about the same, unless you hoof it all over the place, but you get a lot more smiles per gallon.
With the mileage you do on a motorway you shouldn't really have any issues.
Yes, thanks, might look into this - would wait to the warranty has expired / through its first MOT.

I'd stick and wait. I personally don't think you'll get much more out of the COD, though the 150hp will be better. I have the 150 and it does run out of puff in 7th gear (S-Tronic) but is obviously good for fuel economy.

To get some overtaking speed can you change down and boot it?