A3 2004 audio upgrades

wingdiver

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Hi
Just got a 2004 A3 TDi SE and it has the standard single CD head unit and speaker system.
Not bad in most peoples view but my old A3 has a six CD changer and the famous Any Mac stealth sub system!
Are there any upgrades I can do to this car?
I thought about another multi changer but have been told this would have to be in the glovebox, which may entail a new glovebox too. Seems a lot of hassle.
Also thought about an mp3 or ipod connection. I hate ipod's mainly because of the way the iTunes software takes over your PC's music and it is so difficult to add stuff (and I am obviously anti-Apple!). What about any mp3 stuff?
Any useful ideas would be appreaciated.
Oh, and the old A3 is in the classifieds!

i would sussgest get a phatbox on ebay - about £300 for the audi one then run a changer cable from the head unit to the boot where you can cut down the phatbox alloy shell and fit it to the right side of the boot in the indentation where it wont get in the way at all.

its fairly easy and quick to run the cable without having to remove too much trim and nothing is damaged.

as for system upgrades, the sky is the limit depending on how much you want to spend - with the usual caveats - non-standard speakers means replacing rear amp/speakers together if you have a non-bose or all speakers and amp for a bose system.

Hi
I have no changer at present so is this still OK to operate?
Also is there anywhere it can go out of the way - I'm always carrying guitars, amps etc around so don't need stuff that protrudes into the boot space.
Cheers

yes - the phatbox plugs in where a changer would go - you just need a cd changer cable - i got a 5m one from ebay (it didtn have the brown earth wire you need so ran one along the cd changer cable) and ran it from the back of my head unit down the side of the car under the carpet/trim edge to the right side of the boot

in the boot on the right side is a depression in the boot liner - if you get a phatbox and cut off the aluminium wings (the aluminium case is for show, its not a heatsink) then you can run the cd changer cable behind the right boot liner and make a hole at the bottom of this depression in the right side - the cut down phatbox will sit in this depression completely out of the way with no cables showing at all - its almost as if it was designed to go there!