A1 Best Engine For DSG/S-Tronic + Reliabilty

JudderMan

Reaction score
Looking at buying an A1, budget is around or just below the 10k mark, which means a 2012 car I think.

Wife has just passed her test and auto only, hence the title. I obviously want the 150bhp 1.4 TFSI. I don't think I want diesel again, sound horrible and my 2.0 Golf GT TDi just died on me oil pump/balance shaft failure, but there's a nice 1.0TFSi with the right spec for sale and a 1.4TFSi (exact spec I want) but it's cat D (finding out what exactly went wrong).

So, my question is, as I've only ever bought cheap cars (<£2.5k) is reliability of a 60k A1? I assume big jobs will be round the corner after 60k ie cambelt (if they have one), brakes, suspension, auto box fluid change?

I've read up a bit but it's always best to get the answers you're looking for just by asking and having been on this forum for a few years, you're the guys and girls to ask.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The DSG is a fickel mistress its not the smoothest of boxs & can be quite jerky moving off & manuraving the older 1.4 in 2012 can potentially have timing chain and tensioner issues personally a 1.0 tsi (its got a cambelt) DSG with plenty of manufacture's warranty left would be a safer option

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: JudderMan
Thanks Daydotz - having had a slippy DSG clutch at 150k and heard it's very expensive to replace, it's something that I'm not too keen on but as said, the wife was selfish and got auto only license :wtf:I'd love the manual but that isn't gonna happen any more.

Hmm, I'd probably prefer chain to belt. Either way, you reckon an additional warranty might be a plan? Just don't want to be paying £200+ for the car AND have to fix stuff. I'm used to buying a cheap car by cash and then deal with repairs as and when.

Extended warranties unless they manufacture's are a gamble personally I'd be looking for the best compromise of new & warranty or even something bullet proof (Honda jazz CVT) or a conventional auto (mini) the polo ibiza & fabia may get you more car for the money they share engines and gearboxes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks daydotz appreciate it....but I just couldn't buy a Jazz or those other ones. None have the appeal or retain value (maybe the mini would).

So, is there anything else that cpuld be an issue or known issue with A1s?

Yikes just bought a slightly different (non cat d) 1 owner Sport (wanted S Line but this was a bargain), 122bhp 1.4 S-Tronic Sportback. Waiting for the finance company to send £ to dealer...

Hi,

Good choice and welcome to A1 ownership. You could look at the Audi extended warranty but it isn’t cheap when compared with the likes of warranty direct.

Also worth checking out the service plan that Audi offer for cars over 3 years old as this is a good option and saves some cash.

I’m on my third A1 and haven’t had any real problems other than the odd rattle on my first A1 that was fixed by my local dealer.

The DSG box takes a few weeks to get used to, especially if your partner passed in a standard auto box, but I find it brilliant and the changes are seamless.

Good luck.

Thanks Graham, I have looked at warranty direct...bit pricey but need to delve deeper and rhe servicing plan, didn't know about that. I've always had older cars and just chnage oil every 6k miles, fuel filter, plugs etc once a year. That said my last 5 years of cars have ended in 3 engine failures so either I buy bad cars or I drive them too hard haha.

Wife has been driving the Golf with dsg but it does sound like a different animal in the daintiest Audi.

Thanks Graham, I have looked at warranty direct...bit pricey but need to delve deeper and rhe servicing plan, didn't know about that. I've always had older cars and just chnage oil every 6k miles, fuel filter, plugs etc once a year. That said my last 5 years of cars have ended in 3 engine failures so either I buy bad cars or I drive them too hard haha.

Wife has been driving the Golf with dsg but it does sound like a different animal in the daintiest Audi.

If your passing then come and try ours, we love it. Flappy paddle changes are a delight. A keeper for us, no worries. 55mpg is not unusual, neither is 35mpg, know what I mean... :racer:

AND ZERO oil use, ours had a replacement engine, as did most, and that sorted the issue.

Reactions: JudderMan
If your passing then come and try ours, we love it. Flappy paddle changes are a delight. A keeper for us, no worries. 55mpg is not unusual, neither is 35mpg, know what I mean... :racer:

AND ZERO oil use, ours had a replacement engine, as did most, and that sorted the issue.
Thanks champ appreciate the offer, I actually bought a 1.4 tfsi 122bhp after I wrote this, happy enough as it is. Could do with a slightly fruity exhaust and a remap. New tyres first, even though they're brand new Landsail live up to their name...

Oh and I can't get it past 41mpg...

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Milltek cat-back system on ours, sounds brilliant, and 41mpg on a 12-mile run from cold not a problem.

A1 Milltek

A cracking machine... :yes: