starting problem??

steady jay

Reaction score
hi all i have a 1997 1.8t which has decided to devolp a problem.

it starts fine first time but if i turn it off then start again soon after its really hesitant to start. not sure if this is related but the pipe connecting the intercooler to the throttle body is leaking oil. any suggestions will be great thanks.

where would one find such a sensor in the engine bay? excuse the dumb question still learning about my engine.

Sits behind the oil filter on a 3 pin plug. Usually causes starting problems when engine is warm and is a common fault

Do 2.8 30v's have these? And if so where are thay? Could be thr root of the bouncing idle/stalling prob the car has had for AGES!!!!

Phoenix: on the 30v i think it sits on the gearbox bellhousing on the left hand side of the engine. It reads a trigger ring on the flywheel on the 30v engines, whereas the 1.8T has the trigger on the crank itself internally.

I'm not sure it would cause your problems though, but i guess you've tried everything else!

Thread revival as it's becoming a tad annoying, tried the coolant temp sensor and speed sensor. Could it be a MAF problem?

Mine does this (or at least something similar).

Start it from cold and it fires right up.

Once warm however you need to "blip" the throttle as it starts. If you dont blip the throttle, it seems to catch on a few cylinders stumble and chuff and generally fart around down at about 400rpm. Sometimes it will sort itself out and the revs will rise up and it will idle. Other times it will stall. A tiny poke of the throttle just as it catches works every time though.

I should add though, if your repeatedly starting it from cold, then shutting it off without letting it properly warm up or even driving it, the plugs/cylinders will get sooted up pretty quickly.

Mines sounds just the same, I do work 4 miles away from home so for the majority of the week it doesn't go far. But if I pop to the shops on the way home it starts being a knob. Seems the warmer it is the worse it gets. As you said from cold it has no trouble what so ever.

4 miles is fine.

I was more talking about firing it up, moving it 2 meters up the driveway and turning it off again type stuff.

I only have to do that once or twice in dawns car and it'll start on 3 cylinders and need a bit of a rev to clear itself.

Mine is a bit random, and i've sort of gotten used to just tapping the throttle so failed starts are rare. It may not be the same problem as you at all mind!