Typically just before MOT :(

gaz71

1.8T Quattro Sport AJL
Reaction score
My MOT is in two days time (Sat 08 May) and the exhaust has just decided to cause me some grief.

Went over small hole in ground and the flexible pipe section has popped out of joining bracket. It pushed back in ok but is not sealed.
Can I fix this and if so what is the best way to bodge this up for the MOT? Would stuffing it full of exhaust paste work?

Slightly panicking :sadlike:

Last edited:
worth a bash, got me around for a few days before the sealer cracked out of mine.

I also used a pair of jubilee clips and a thing bit it steel to bridge the joint with the clips each side of the join to help stiffen it

Thanks for that :icon_thumright:

Unless I get any other ideas that is what I shall try.

****** typical, got the car booked in for service and MOT with Cambelt/water pump change so cash for exhaust is a bit scarce at the mo

Just looked at my manual and it looks as though I can put flexi-section into clamp piece and retighten, it's only a clamp and there is no breakage.

Do you reckon this will work, with a bit of paste for good measure?

Well got under car today, one of the bolts that tighten the clamp had rusted off. It must have happened previously and hitting one of our great countries many potholes shook the pipe loose.

Exhaust paste and 1 U-clamp later everything all fixed up nice and tight :arco: , not totally straight but I only have limited access - Jack, one axle stand, rain and narrow carpark (what I wouldn't give for a garage with a pit)

Hopefully good enough to get through MOT.

Will let you know how I get on

Well the repair worked, it held for the MOT.

Everything passed for the MOT - Apart from the two broken rear springs and the knackered rear near-side wheel bearing :faint:

So Cambelt/Water pump has to be postponed for a month or two, ho hum better get saving

Just had the new wheel bearing and rear springs fitted.

Along with a service and MOT I'm now £450 lighter, but at least there's no annoying noise from the back end :o.k:

The back end is sitting a bit high, I was told that this is normal and the springs should settle to a more 'normal' height soon.

Is this normal and how long should it be before they settle?