Any Audi A4 B5 techies please help!

B5_Avant_AAN_Powered

Reaction score
right i have just swopped my clocks from 2.5tdi 1999 facelift model B5 to A4/A6 petrol ones, i can get the oil temp, rev counter works and speedo works but i have no water temp gauge or fuel gauge!!
I have "hard wired" everything else as its part of the engine conversion ive just carried out, i know the clocks will be imibilised and coded but will this affect temp and fuel gauge as i cannot get them to work when earthed!

Also every warning light was lit up, i have managed to get hot warning/water level to go out but all others are on, can the clocks be coded in place or do i have to have everything else there to code them together (i dont run an A4 ECU!)

Can the clocks be coded on their own, are the problems im having only due to the clocks being coded or are they nackered???

I have converted the car from 2.5tdi to 2.2 5 cyl petrol turbo and everything else is finished except the clocks and its really annoying me now as i wanna drive it!

Also, obviously it is not running an A4 engine harness or ECU at all so wont link into the system, will this make a difference??

Thanks in advance :)
Sean.

Welcome to ASN
i think you need a prog called VAG Tacho.. also Vag com is the main coding prog.

Last edited:
cheers tazzy.... Sware this thread was in the general section. (im loosing the plot)

editsunset.jpg

more here taz
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?94374-Few-pics-after-visiting-the-sea-side

Last edited:
Cheers, before i bought it was was just wondering what was going on witht he clocks, if they are nackered and i can wire them past the immobliser then i will do that for now,

Looks like am gonna have to ring Kenny at AMD tommorow and get him to sort it out lol

Cheers, before i bought it was was just wondering what was going on witht he clocks, if they are nackered and i can wire them past the immobliser then i will do that for now,

Looks like am gonna have to ring Kenny at AMD tommorow and get him to sort it out lol

there is deffo fellas on here that can help you. Im sure its Vag Tacho that allows coding of the clocks. you can buy it off of Ebay iirc.

@ Alpine it might of been but i aint been on here for a bit sorry to sent you round the twist lol

@b5 avant is that silver one yours that looks smart how low is it

The c5 audi a6 clocks wont work in b5 audi a4 as they are different clusters all toghether. I swapped a6 diesel with a4 diesel clocks on a friends a6 v6 tdi and nothing worked properly-even the alarm was starting on its own-something to do with the door/tailgate oppening/monitoring system. To complicate matters, audi a4 has never been offered with a 5 pot lump so there is no easy way to re-code the clocks, it will have to stay v6 (wich will show wrong rpm's) or inline 4 cyl... You will also have to defeat the immobiliser and have it tied in with the ECU. By the way, on what ECU you're running the 5 pot lump ?

You've either wired it up incorrectly, or as adam says its from the wrong car.

I dont think its an A4->A6 issue, more that there are a few generations of A4 wiring harness, and if you've crossed between one generation and the other then nothing will work right.

The warning lights you'll simply have to tackle one at a time. I'm not really sure what lights are on, because things like the ABS and Airbag should be connected up as normal. Changing the engine doesnt affect those systems. If your getting a coolant temp warning thats simply because the coolant temp guage isnt working.

I suspect the first step will be to get a cluster from a car of the same era as yours. 99 facelift will most likely be immo2, so you'd need an early facelift cluster for it. Clusters from 2000 on use canbus (they have a digital clock) and wont work without rewiring half the car. Pre-98 clusters are again very different and wont work without rewiring half the car. 98-99 clusters will work, but you'll have an issue with your alarm, and you need to cut one of the wires on the harness to stop the alarm going off.

Yes the Silver avant is mine, just added link to my picture account to my signature!

how low? VERY lol Wytec coilovers and bumpstops cut in half. theres about 5mm clearance from the wheel rim to the arch on the back lol

I know the B5 was never offered with a 5 pot thats why i carried out the conversion and as far as myself and PVW mag are concerened it had never ever been Completed, many have tried but never finished for some reason.
I only fitted the A6 clocks as my local breakers in Essex called Nirro said they were all the same between a4/a6 and that would explain a LOT!
NEVER EVER DEAL WITH NIRRO IN ESSEX, 5 TIMES I HAVE USED THEM AND EVERY TIME THEY MESSED ME ABOUT OR GAVE ME WRONG PARTS!
With regards to the rev counter they take a pulse from the coilpack or injector pulse so it doesnt matter to me weather the clocks are from a 4/6 cyl and the rev counter reads bang on the mark as checked with external rev counter so thats all good.

I think the warning lights are just all related with immobliser and being the totally wrong clocks!!!!

My origional clocks were digital clock and had DIS, wish i had never sold them with the engine as i would have just used an external rev counter and origional just took a feed
from the alternator to power rev counter so again, easy to do.

As far as engine harness and ECU, everything from the A4 under the ecu has been unplugged, removed with the old engine and sold and not replaced, i am running the donor car URs4 ECU and engine harness, 5 wires and it runs all other wiring i have fabricated myself

Im trying to buy a set of S4 clocks from a 99 model S4 so hopefully that will cure everything once coded.
i have just fitted an aftermarket water temp gauge tonight so thats me all sorted, i will just keep filling it up with fuel for the minute lol

Cheers again chaps!
Sean.

OK the fact you had digital clock explains everything.

You need a set of 2000-2001 clocks from an A4. Similar vintage A6 clocks will likely work too. They're probably even the same part numbers, i'd look them up but i'm going to bed :p. Ones with analog clock arent compatible with your cars harness, and my moneys on thats what you have in the car now.

Get the right clocks fitted and we'll go from there!

You'll need to patch the coolant temp sensor into the engine and the oil temp wont work unless you use the sump mounted sensor from a newer engine. The oil temp is integrated into the level sensor on IMMO3 cars, and sends the dash some kinda multiplexed signal thats a combination of temperature and level.

Mate, im full of ****, just been looking at pics of the A4 on my pics link in my signature and the car clearly had an analogue clock!

What a tit lol

the guys at the breakers that gave me the clocks said they were from a 99 A6, and that was before he knew what year my car was.

oil temp, speedo, revs all work fine as i have wired them to suit my conversion, no problems there.

i am just buying a VAG tacho from flea bay, does anyone have any reccomended sellers????????

Cheers again, Sean.

Ok well maybe it is an A4/A6 issue then. Finding a perfect set of A4 clocks will be tricky. You can use 98-99 prefacelift ones by cutting a wire, or you need to find a facelift cluster with an analog clock.

What do you intend to do with the vagtacho?

Drop Byzan_A4 a PM, he at one point had a cluster from a 99 facelift 1.8TQS he might be willing to part with.

What coolant sensor are you using, and have you checked for fault codes from the instrument cluster?
The A4 uses a combined sensor for the engine and ECU, which is basically two sensors in one housing. Some older engines (like my ABZ) have two seperate sensors, one for the ECU and one for the Clocks.

Well i was gonna use vag tacho to see if clocks etc were ok.

I am now running an aftermarket temp gauge and the ECU gets fed by seperate sensor altogether to control fueling depending on water temps.

i have not plugged the car in to vag com or any of the other Diagnostic gear i have at work, the clocks were the least of my wories, as long as i have a rev counter and temp gauge that`ll do for the minute, its in on monday to have the exhaust fabricated so i need everything else done first.
and get a set of A4 clocks as im sure the A6 ones are just not compatable whatsoever

its doin my head in now so just gonna have a look at ross techs website and try to turn everything off with vag com

Turn what off?

Your engine should have two coolant sensors, one for the dash and one for the ECU. As long as the dash one is wired up correctly the guage will work.

Clearly you need a working dash cluster first though.

well i plugged in V-checker today and the clocks are defanitly not compatable :(

fault codes are fuel gauge and key compatability and i cannot recode them so i`ll have to wait and buy yet another set of clocks!

As for coolant sensors, the "engine" had 3, one for ECU to control mixture, one for dash and other one for warning lamps.
Car one isnt connected as im running an aftermarket temp gauge in the dash now.

Not sure if this helps you, but I've got a spare (soon) set of S4 clocks that are currently recoded into my S4. From a 99 model iirc. Part number 8D0 919 930P.

They are only in place awaiting assitance from Macca (no nudge intended!!) to put my originals back in place.

You are welcome to them if they are of use. All works ok, though I think the revcounter needle is slightly incorrectly mounted (reads low by circa 300rpm on my car - easy fix though!).

PM me if interested. cheers