Sensors

Jay-a3

Reaction score
Hi. On my Audi a3 1.8t the coolant needle seems to of dies!i scanned for codes but just found 17705 and 17536.they dnt really relate to this tho,or do they?is it the temp sensor I need to replace?my heaters seem to heat up fine to
thanks guys

Hi Mate. Its either the temp sensor, or the thermostat, ive only been around here a month or so and its still the most common issue to occur id say.

All you can do is change the sender (about £30) which you can do yourself, get the green top one from audi, sposed to be more reliable than black topped one.

If nothing changes its the thermostat, which is only around £15 plus £12 or so for replacement coolant but can be a pig to change, nothing large or heavy to remove, just very very fiddly job.

My guess would be thermostat though, worth doing as A) its good experience even tho fiddly B) If the stat is stuck open the car is cooling too much, doesn't get to temperature and will over fuel itself to try and compensate.

Very satisfying to do yourself and then see everything doing what it should.

Change both as a metter of course because they'll both go at some point.

Temp sensor is easy....£14 from GSF for the green top one
Thermostat is tricky but you'll get it done in the end...£15 from GSF, add about a tenner for some coolant and your on your way.

You'd have it done in an afternoon. Drop the alternator cables off if you're stuck for room to get the thermostat housing away from the block. Lots of guides on line :)

T

You will swear a lot when changing the stat....I know I did!. Worth it though as it saves a load of wedge on labour charges :)

haha im sure! would this make me down on power? i seem to have little boost. on the boost gauge it boosts up to about 9psi but then gradually dropps down. i carnt find any leaks tho. i hav changed my maf sensor but its not a bosch one. ive heard that if its not a bosch one it can be faulty?

When the stat is stuck/busted it'll run a bit off colour due to the ECU thinking the engine isnt warmed up etc (think its that way round). Mine felt a bit tamer when the stat was goosed...changed it and its back to normal.