Looking to buy an A3 and be one of you lot!

CraigHarrison

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im currently looking for a 1.8 sport 3dr in black, dark blue or silver. I have been looking for about a week now and have only recently discovered this forum. The reason i want an A3 is because i want a reliable and solid second car that i can mod on a fairly cheap budget. I also want it to be cheap to insure and run as i am starting a new policy on the car as im already using my no claims on another car.

I have had a good look around and been through pretty much every page of the 'show us your A3' thread. i have got to say that some of the cars look really awesome! also i sort of now want an S3!!! haha

so back to the car search... Im looking for something less than £2,000 with around or less than 100,000 miles on the clock. the more Extras the better! i am a newby to the A3 though and want to know some really basic things so was hoping you could answer some questions for me... also if there is any advice or anything else that a newby should know that i haven't asked then please tell me!

1. Is the 1.8 20v (non Turbo) a reliable engine?

2. When should the cam belt be changed?

3. what extra do you get on the sport above the SE appart from the seats and the steering wheel?

4. Is a/c standard in all A3's?

5. whats the average life of the 1.8?

6. are there any major rust issues with an A3 (i havent heard of any yet)

7. Is it possible to make the baggy leather seats tight again without going to a pro?

8. which is the best ebay coilovers? jamex ones?

Thanks for reading and please dont just tell me to use the search, iv used it and have some answers but want a more upto date answer.

hopefully get an A3 soon!

Craig. :icon_thumright:

Welcome Craig, good luck on your search

Yes

60k-80k

3. what extra do you get on the sport above the SE appart from the seats and the steering wheel?

Different suspension set up I think, could be wrong

Not sure, climate control is not standard

As long you want, in regards to go good servicing

Post facelift models have a rust issue on the boot, there is a rust issue with under the doors I think

7. Is it possible to make the baggy leather seats tight again without going to a pro?

No idea

Depends on your budget

Hi Craig,Welcome to ASN

The 1.8t is a reliable one with only failures after major power applied but cannot say about the non-turbo version

on 1.8t's it is every 60k or five years whichever comes about first

suspension would have to be one

pass

pass

Plenty...http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?74306-ANTI-CORROSION-WARRANTY-RESULTS-PLEASE-POST-HERE

yes,bring them around my house for my missus to wash and she'll shrink them or post in the detailling section for advice

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showth...bay-Coilover-Thread-(Jamex)-With-how-to-guide

I thought insurance was through the roof on Audi's,check our section for insurance for a quote as Sky give discount to AS members

helpful link http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showth...ul-information-enclosed-**Previously-Stickies

Thanks for your replys guys! really appreciated!

would never have thought the roof rails would be a hot spot for rust!

I can live with an SE then, im guessing the 3 spoke wheel can be fitted to the 4 spoke wheel? The seats may eventually be changed and coilovers are a must!

Thanks
Craig

When they were originally released (so prefacelift (but it didn't change much - only the upholstery))

Sport = Chequered Pattern Sports Seats, approx 20mm lower suspension, NO Aircon as standard
SE = Alcantara Sofas, Jelly suspension (but you're not ***** if you're putting coilys on it), Climate Control AC as standard

Nope, it was an expensive option on anything apart from SE and S3 - I don't know about TQs though - might've been standard on those too... It's easy to tell from even a ropey photo on the trader though - all A/C equipped models have the climate control panel - a display (or two (depending on facelift or not IIRC)) with a few buttons round it, anything with three dirty big dials and a couple of buttons DOES NOT have A/C (they're only window heat and re-circ buttons).

Regards,

Rob.

Last edited:
Welcome.

Don't waste your time with a petrol. Cheap to run? TDi 130pd... :undwech:I better disappear before i get lynched. lol

all the TDI's have done way higher maileage for the money... plus the stats say they are slower.

S3 is tempting but the RS is LOTS of fun and VERY fast and easy to get power out of... i haven't spent much on it and its running close to 290bhp

Thank you for all your helpful info guys :D really appreciated

all the TDI's have done way higher maileage for the money... plus the stats say they are slower.
Probably from 0-60, but I'd bet that from 10-70 it'd be an entirely different story...

Anyway, good luck with your search whichever way you go - you know where to come if you get further questions, and of course once you've found the right one we'll help you spend loads more money on it than you planned to ;)

Regards,

Rob.

2K?? Good luck, for that price it will be knackered
These things are all subjective. I bet you thought your post was constructive, while I dare say the majority of the rest of us would disagree.

For the OP - I'm sure you've seen that there are plenty on the trader at the moment at or around (close enough to haggle to) £2,000.

The one below doesn't look too shabby, and surely at £2195, that's not far off £2,000 cash sale agreed?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...1/keywords/1.8/sort/priceasc/page/5&logcode=p

OK it's an SE, but you get your air-con, the interior colour scheme looks alright, it's not sitting too high - and once the coilys are on you're laughing anyway...

Regards,

Rob.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to the car and thanks for backing me up on the price thing!

Nice signature btw, you in computing?

No probs :beerchug:

And um, sort-of; I used to do R&D for a PC firm back up north, but when I moved down here I swapped tinkering with workstations/servers and things like that to television audience measurement instruments - they might as well be embedded systems with proprietary OS for all they do, but it's different enough to keep it interesting; I'm going through the TUPE mangle at the moment though :wacko: Yourself?

//R

doing a computer science degree... only a few months left... i personally hate it!

Got one... deposot paid... picking it up on Wednesday... ill take pictures of it then too.

Happy bunny now!

no air con but its a second car so never mind!

£1600 for a 1.8 sport.

good to hear you got one and within budget :rockwoot::rockwoot:

Right iv picked it up and i have a few things which i need to be sorted like a new tyre and needs a new bonnet pretty much...

few questions though....

What is the DARK blue colour called?

My car didnt come with the remote locking fobs... does this mean it didnt when it was new too? and can i get some to work?

is there an audi CD player that will fit the early A3's? take plater is GAY!

Ill post up a pic or two tomorrow!

Thanks
Craig

No cd changer in the boot?

The Audi tape player is nice looking imo, other head units spoil the look of the interior

Metallic blue, ming blue?

Not sure about the key fobs, it probably should have come withh remote central locking

yeh ive got 2 dvd headunits in my room at home but i kept the bose system standard with my cd changer in boot. i dont wanna ruin the uber red look lol.

gratz on the car mate and welcome

So where is the cd changer in the boot? Should they all have these?

Sorry for asking stupid questions but the guy I got it from didn't tell me much... It also looks like the tape player I did get with it is wider than be hole that's there... I think it may be broken too! Haha

here are some pics of the one i got...

DSC_0810.jpg

DSC_0811.jpg