EBC Green or Red

Nitro

Reaction score
I am about to purchase new front brake pads and not sure if to go for the EBC green or red pads. Can some please advise which to go for. Its for a 2000 year A4 2,8 Q.
Thnaks

Last edited by a moderator:
failing that, ebc yellows. well worth considering

According to EBC's website.........Greenstuff are for anything UPTO 200bhp, Red stuff are for fast road use with minimal brake dust, and yellow stuff are for track AND road use. I was thinking about buying some, but I had some 2500's on a 21 turbo years back, and thought they were amazing. I was constantly headbutting the dash!!lol!! They are costly though. But well worth it IMO!

I spoke to the guys at backdraft and the recommend yellow stuff as apparently they work better from cold

damn right. from cold they have a great response, not far from oe

my last set lasted 2 years. 40 or 50k miles i think.

TBH the fact they cant even decide what the pads are for makes me even more wary of them.

A Track pad would normally be completely useless from cold, stick some DS3000's or Mintex 1166's in and it'll probably feel like pressing on a block of wood until you get some heat into them.

EBC = products for chavvy boyracers.

I used to run the Ferrodo DS3000's and they didnt take long to warm up, once they did they were awesome but they are very dusty, noisy and will wreck your wheels due to the high iron content. I am running the EBD red stuff pads on the a4 (due to picking a set up cheap) and they are working very well. I did try the greenstuff a few years back on my clio williams and they faded pretty easily so I would avoid those.

if they are for chavvy boy racers, i have no question whether or not they are effective

i use ferodoo ds2500's. great from cold and even better when heated. Im by no way a boy racer but they definately work a treat. I got them from badger5 (bill whos on either scn or in the 8l a3 section quite abit) my cousin also has them on his b5 a4 1.8tqs ( quite a mouthfull that!!) he has ferodoo ds2500's front and rear and has unbelievable stopping capabilities.

Ok I think I am sold on the DS2500, thats if you guys say they are a good Road/Street pad? Don't want a track only pad. Can I get away with only purchasing a front set ? and use normal Oe rear pads?

Ok I think I am sold on the DS2500, thats if you guys say they are a good Road/Street pad? Don't want a track only pad. Can I get away with only purchasing a front set ? and use normal Oe rear pads?
Yeah no problems.

Whats with all the greenstuff hating? i am currently using them along with grooved, drilled & vented disc's and have noticed great improvements over the stock setup i was running. Are the reds much better then as i love the bite and perfomance of the greens?

you could packs of butter for pads and pizza boxes for discs and notice an improvement on stock!!

I got yellow free with some new calipers I quickly shifted. kept the pads though. I was told to be careful when cold but it proved to be the opposite.
very responsive, especially if the car had been sitting and the discs had a bit of rust on them.

my problem is you have to kep using them. I haven't been using the car properly for a while and as a result they have glazed the discs. will polish it off when I get a chance and fix the rear end but made me think about other pads.

On teh whole EBC is not a brand that are used by people is motorsport.
I certainly would never buy there discs as they are horrible.

but teh pads work and in 20k look barely worn

don't have much experience of any other branded "road " pads

so would yellows and a fluid change to 5.1 be an improvement on standard 288mm discs, thinking about going to 312mm when the discs get worn

jamie: problem is that fitting your part worn pads to the 312's when you get them isnt really advisable...

If changing the disks i would always fit new pads, even if the old ones were servicable.

I'm sure a chap on here fitted some 312's, then went back to 288's and DS2500's, and reconned the DS2500's made such a difference even on the stock disks that there wasnt much point going to 312's. Cant mind who it was though.

i'll see if i need them once i've tried them on the standard size discs and save my self some money for the exhuast

so long as your discs and pads are not grooved to hell or have 1mm of meat left on them you can refit them.
I refitted all my B5 and B7 RS4 stuff and it was all part worm. no way the pads went back in the same place as they had bedded in.

Discs were cleaned up with wire wheel and pads were cleaned up of a belt sander.

good as new.

there is not real difference putting used pads on new discs than new pads on old discs. so long as they are worn flush and have material on them they still require bedding in