8V S3 Tuning Thread

How much can the manual box take ? And clutch ?

Manual box on the 8P can take 540lbs/740Nm,so you would expect the current model to be similar....as far as I know,both are O2Q boxes.
Clutch would certainly need upgrading.

What I wouldn't recommend is drag style starts on that sort of torque,without an ECU that can ramp torque sufficiently at the start.
There are occasional cases where the gearbox casing has cracked around the bearing areas,and also a few cases both on manual and DSG cars of the driveshafts giving way.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeParkin and xpoweruk
So many variables with this.... But, there's nothing in it at all.
Amazing engine these 2.0s

It really has been an amazing platform so far,in TFSI and current form.

Being an old git now,I can remember how difficult and expensive it was to get 200bhp/litre from a Cosworth 2L engine back in the day,and as for getting 300bhp/litre.......that was rallycross grenade engine territory.

Reactions: Rob2k68, Wondering Soul, Forbzeeee and 1 other person
We did a little racing weekend gone in our TTE525R Golf R. Event was SCC 500 a rolling 50kmh start to 1000m finish line but due to conditions runway was shortened to 400m

Smoked a Tuned R8 V8, Raced and pulled on a RS3 TTE500 from tunetec

Last edited:
Reactions: S3 Turbo, pburv, Wondering Soul and 3 others
@TTE Si i've only just started looking into turbo upgrades, and its still very very early days for me.
i am hugely impressed with what you have to offer! i just want a good mid 400 hp in the long run and you guys are top of my reading list!

Reactions: pburv, Wondering Soul, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
@TTE Si i've only just started looking into turbo upgrades, and its still very very early days for me.
i am hugely impressed with what you have to offer! i just want a good mid 400 hp in the long run and you guys are top of my reading list!

Thats awesome feed back THANKS !

Mid 400 is easy task just let us know :sunglasses:

Reactions: pburv, S3Alex and Rob2k68
Does the Turbo Technics induction hose really do something? You can put up a hose as big as you want buth the turbo inlet will allways be the same size.
Have a look at the comparison between stock (RIGHT) and the CTS option...

Reactions: S3 Turbo, pburv, Wondering Soul and 3 others
They will start shipping out today.. Expect results to follow.

Reactions: pburv, Wondering Soul, Dandanfings and 1 other person
Still, the diameter of the turbo inlet will be the same. I don't say it can't do anything buth nobody seems to have experience with them.
Exactly right ! I was the guy to invent this larger intake idea but for our Larger turbo compressor inducer/inlet as was needed.

Yes the diameter of the turbo inlet remains the same, but the tapered Audi item - restricting the flow at the animal's throat - is replaced by an equal-diameter machined pipe.

Yes the diameter of the turbo inlet remains the same, but the tapered Audi item - restricting the flow at the animal's throat - is replaced by an equal-diameter machined pipe.
One thing that will effect flow will be the tighter radius on the aftermaket item. Both are same size each end i presume.

Mine

Reactions: S3 Turbo, Fiddie, pburv and 3 others
Pretty minor question here ...

Lots of people on other forums fitting Denso Iridium Power spark plugs - anyone here done this ? What are the benefits ?

Reactions: pburv and DAZMC
Excellent - thank you ! Easy to install ?

pretty easy install tbh i got the new spark plugs out of Eurocar parts Denso IKH 24 spark plugs

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Something arrived today. Tomorrow should be fun :grimacing:

ve9p5g.jpg

Reactions: Fiddie, thewanted, pburv and 2 others
Pretty minor question here ...

Lots of people on other forums fitting Denso Iridium Power spark plugs - anyone here done this ? What are the benefits ?

I think a lot of people get really obsessed with this.

There was a lot of testing done with various plug manufacturers and hot Vs cold plugs etc,on the TFSi.
The overall result was that the stock plugs work well,even up to very high power levels,if they're changed regularly.

Another non-starter was Okada coilpacks,which at best added maybe a couple of percent at peak rpm,or less than 10bhp for the princely sum of around £600!

I still use stock plugs on mine,and we did test colder plugs when the engine was taken up to 600bhp and got rewarded with a misfire.

No doubt the Iridiums are excellent,and will last well,and that's probably the best point.

Reactions: veeeight and Rob2k68
I think a lot of people get really obsessed with this.

There was a lot of testing done with various plug manufacturers and hot Vs cold plugs etc,on the TFSi.
The overall result was that the stock plugs work well,even up to very high power levels,if they're changed regularly.

Another non-starter was Okada coilpacks,which at best added maybe a couple of percent at peak rpm,or less than 10bhp for the princely sum of around £600!

I still use stock plugs on mine,and we did test colder plugs when the engine was taken up to 600bhp and got rewarded with a misfire.

No doubt the Iridiums are excellent,and will last well,and that's probably the best point.

Thanks Alex. It's good to have your input from someone who's been there and done this. For what they cost I'll probably pop some in as a serviceable item rather than expecting to be able to notice any performance increase.

Reactions: S3Alex
Thanks Alex. It's good to have your input from someone who's been there and done this. For what they cost I'll probably pop some in as a serviceable item rather than expecting to be able to notice any performance increase.

This might be of some use as well...

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/spark-plug-recommendations-for-s3-8p-2-0t-oem-modified.135361/

Warren did quite a lot of work on this on the TFSi,and broadly agreed with what I've said,with the exception being that some people had tried colder plugs without issues.

I would say that's not neccessary,and can lead to problems with misfires and plug fouling if the engine is idled for long periods or not hoofed sufficiently every now and then.
I personally don't think it's worthwhile for a road car,or occasional track use,and mine certainly didn't benefit from them.

Luckily I didn't get sucked in by the Plasma coils....a few people I know did,and got very little back in terms of power or torque.

Reactions: TTE Si, veeeight, batch and 1 other person
Reactions: Rob2k68 and S3Alex
Hi All,
i'm a new S3 8V owner, coming from a Stage 2+ 8P S3.
Right now the car is stage 1 APR and feels as fast as my old car with just better low end torque.
my next stage will be getting an IC and Intake.

did anyone compare the APR and R600 back to back on a dyno or with a Vbox on the road?
i've seen HS tuning testing the VWR racing (open) filter vs the APR and the APR won the Test, but also read about a TTE user that got 17bhp more when switching from APR to the R600. did anyone compared the too?

here are HS-Tuning's result:
ndw6fXj.jpg

I don't think the apr intake gives any issues. At apr they tested the apr intake running there Stage 3 intake. They did a run with and a run without intake and the intake proved to give as much air as without the intake. I run the CTS intake, and doing stage 2 without IC running 400.7 and 551 nm i think it proven performance.

Reactions: Rob2k68
[QUOTE="

did anyone compare the APR and R600 back to back on a dyno or with a Vbox on the road?
i've seen HS tuning testing the VWR racing (open) filter vs the APR and the APR won the Test, but also read about a TTE user that got 17bhp more when switching from APR to the R600. did anyone compared the too?

[/QUOTE]

I think you are reffering to me... TTE ordered .... not installed yet.
First time i did a stage 2 tune a had an APR intake, they told me then it lacked air.

Bought an VWR and did a retune .... + 17 PK an 40 nm.

Had the S3 on the 4wd rollers yesterday and results where
303bhp and 365nm (265lb ft)
Torque a bit low from factory.
Stage 1 software added and results where 377bhp but torque remained lower than expected at 450nm (332lb ft)
So as torque was low to start and then remained low after stage 1 tuner recommended a tcu software upgrade to release the torque even more. Had a couple of friends there which stage one'd there R and new Cupra with all pretty much same bhp figures but there torque figures where 530nm and 514nm. They where both manual cars. Anyone had low torque readings with s-tronic ?

Reactions: Quattro colin
Had the S3 on the 4wd rollers yesterday and results where
303bhp and 365nm (265lb ft)
Torque a bit low from factory.
Stage 1 software added and results where 377bhp but torque remained lower than expected at 450nm (332lb ft)
So as torque was low to start and then remained low after stage 1 tuner recommended a tcu software upgrade to release the torque even more. Had a couple of friends there which stage one'd there R and new Cupra with all pretty much same bhp figures but there torque figures where 530nm and 514nm. They where both manual cars. Anyone had low torque readings with s-tronic ?
Tune did not unlock the torque limitation ?
I believe it is set at 450nm .... Has to do with the dsg(?)

Yeh looks like it as torque was exactly 450nm
Should tune be unlocking this? And was hoping for 500nm +