8P3 Halogen to single Xenon with LED DRL

MilkDawg

Reaction score
I have a 2010 3 door 2.0l TDI s-line with standard halogens. I wish to replace these with single Xenon (not bi-xenon) headlights with the LED DRLs.

Just talking headlights here, I already know about leveling and washers, are these a straight swap with a few settings changing in VCDS?

I have found adaptors for installing bi-xenons but not single xenons.

If anyone can help, that would be great!

All 8P3 LED DRL headlights are Bi-xenon, not single, to get xenons to work on yours you would need the adapters, then take two wires on the adapters to your Central electrics for the shutter signal for xenon high beam, then code it to the car.

Ah that makes sense! In that case, I remember seeing on the forum that not all units that control the shutter are compatible, how would I be able to tell?

Many thanks for your help!

Yours will be compatible, all 8P2 onwards are compatible 55 onwards, I am currently using an 8p2 55 plate sline tdi and that will accept Bi-xenon led DRL, and every other 8P2 I have worked on had it it too. Am guessing your car will already have standard drls been 2010 model so it is 100% anyways.

Yes, it does have standard DRLs. There is an adaptor like the one you mentioned on ebay from Germany that has the extra cable to control the bi-xenon shutter but it says its for 8P's upto 2009 only. Also, on kufatec, they say "From model 2010 the control unit for central electric needs to be replaced (In some cases models before 2010 as well)". Sadly they dont say how to check and I cant really find anything when searching.

I'm a bit confused!

Firstly do you have vagcom AKA VCDS?

Ok good well once plugged in, go into 09 central electrics and see what the part number ends in will be a letter

or go into long coding helper, then byte 21 from what I can remember ( little squares with numbers and/or letters near the top which is 21st along, then should be a drop down box to choose which headlights you have, will say halogen now but I there is an option to choose 05 Bi-xenon led DRL then you have the correct one.

Awesome! My cable isnt with me at the moment but I can check it first thing tomorrow.

I take it if the option isnt there, then I am a bit stuffed?

Many thanks for your help.

It will be there as you already have a feed for your current DRLS, just double check.

Hey mate. Went into 09 and went into code helper but cant find the drop down menu in byte 21 or any other bytes, any ideas?

09 Cent Elect
Long Code Helper

Ok, so after searching with the part number of the Control Unit I have in mine (8P0 907 063 A), it appears that I do have the correct one. There is a thread that I found on this forum when searching the PN that had some information http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/122223-2010-a3-retro-bi-xenon.html

So I assume that I just purchase the cable from Kufatec and select 'From model year 2010' then all should be good?

Xenon/HID Headlights - Adapter- Audi A3 8P & 8PA Facelift-