oil sensor warning....what does it mean? HELP

Jason-Con

Reaction score
Today when driving i stalled the car.. i know... Anyway when i started the car again i drove for a bit and the oil sensor warning came up. I go it near home checked the level and it was low so i bought 1ltr and topped up. Now the warning never went. i drove for a bit and parked up, waited 5 mins with the car running (which was fine) and the sensor warning light went out. After 2 mins it came back again.

I think (hope) its just a dodgy sensor, any ideas?

I should also note that the service is due on it in 600 miles, is this part of the routine service warnings?

Last edited:
check the handbook as i know on the b5's if the light comes up you stop and get it recovered as it's the oil pressure light and can lead to a big bill, they have a small oil pick up pipe that can get blocked easily if the oil gets thick, i do my oil changes every 6000 miles to prevent this

but this warning says oil sensor not pressure. In haynes it mentions nothing about the warning light and in the handbook it only says to to a dealership to check the sensor and make sure you check your levels everytime you fill up.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of the TDi's ever having sludge issues.

If the warning light is orange then it's an advisory and it's generally safe to continue. The oil pressure light is red and obviously very different.

My pressure sensor went on my S4 and it wasnt hugely expensive to change. Known fault apparently. Only problem is that you need to drop all of the oil out and depending on if u are happy to re-use, it can be quite cheap to do. Check the oil level - if thats ok - could just be the sensor.