Clutch & Flywheel to hold more torque on S3

S3KO4

Reaction score
Has anyone here used better clutch and flywheel than the standard one, as I know mine is on the way out, A friend has just fitted a G60 flywheel & VR6 Clutch on a 1.8T, and he seemed pleased with his setup, So I was wondering if the same setup was possible on my S3!

I know the S3 runs a dual mass flywheel and the clutch is a bit more special, I don't mind to convert it to single, as long as it performs better, smoother and also has to feel softer than what I have on at the moment.

my car has about 312lb/ft of torque since the modes have taken place, and this has affected the clutch even further, also recent trip down to Santa Pod was not very helpful either.

Your recommendations are appreciated. thanks

Single mass flywheels tend make the gear box noisy on idle, I was recommended a Sachs paddle clutch plate (sprung type with a single mass FW) from MTM and the OEM cover plate by a guy who drag strips his 425bhp TT... he used his for over 2 years without a problem... Its something I am considering for my next clutch swap when mine is next due...

<tuffty/>

I'd also like to know what people think of the sachs clutch i will be replacing mine next weekend, the ****** thing slipped twice today and the likely cause is oil contamination as my vvt gasket is leaking. Ive been quoted £750 for the standard clutch or £1050 for sachs, does anyone know how the sachs feels? is it harsh? Hopefully my flywheel will be ok but knowing my luck it will probably be no good!

Any help would be Great

Cheers Matt

Last edited:
Im currently running a sachs clutch and fidanza flywheel, the last owner had the work done swatchuk on here, best asking him as I think he ordered the parts from America and were cheaper and he can give you more info

I'm going to order a flywheel from TTV ( single mass ) for £220 fro my S3

The OEM clutch can be used or you can run the uprated MTM kit on it as well

I'd also like to know what people think of the sachs clutch i will be replacing mine next weekend, the ****** thing slipped twice today and the likely cause is oil contamination as my vvt gasket is leaking. Ive been quoted £750 for the standard clutch or £1050 for sachs, does anyone know how the sachs feels? is it harsh? Hopefully my flywheel will be ok but knowing my luck it will probably be no good!

Any help would be Great

Cheers Matt

I have a Sachs clutch kit and OEM Dual Mass Flywheel on mine which I had fitted in April last year.

Harsh is not a word I would use to desribe it at all, gear changes are smoother, made the car feel like new and pulls much better.

Costly but worth it if you plan to keep the car for a while.

I have a Sachs clutch kit and OEM Dual Mass Flywheel on mine which I had fitted in April last year.

Harsh is not a word I would use to desribe it at all, gear changes are smoother, made the car feel like new and pulls much better.

Costly but worth it if you plan to keep the car for a while.

Thanks alot mate thats exactly what I was hoping to hear! I'll go for it then!

Cheers Matt

Thanks alot mate thats exactly what I was hoping to hear! I'll go for it then!

Cheers Matt

So how do I buy this Sachs clutch? any special dealer? what was the price? can I use the flywheel I have got on now! I can hear a clunk when changing it from first to second, but I am hopping its not an issue. I have a second hand flywheel from an A3 180 quattro in better nick can I use this if mine was shot? and lastly what price did you guys pay for the labour? as it is a lengthy job of around 7hours...

Last edited:
That's where I'm having mine fitted too, quality set up they have there isn't it.

Cheers matt

Sure is mate, you know your car is in safe, capable hands when you book it in there.

I've had all my mods carried out there and am likely to return when I've saved enough pennies for some Brembos.

we have a guy here in Athens that custom makes clutch's, a friend of mine had a 500hp S3 (Precision Turbo) and was using one made from him, it was a Sachs racing pressure plate with a custom made 6 disc pad clutch with OEM flywheel. i use to drive that car and it use to be very drivable. i think i will be going with that kit because mine has also started slipping when i quick shift at high rpm's..

Thats good news, but found out they sell sachs for s3 at euro car parts, not sure if they always stock them though