Full Moo

Seizure

Reaction score
When do you guys deem it OK to give you cars stick from a cold start? I have asked if there is an oil temp function no the S3, but there appears not to be, so I can't really tell when it's OK to give it the "Full Moo" or not.

So far I have been driving up to about 3K in each gear until the coolant temp hits 90. Then I give it a bit more, but not everything. Few more minutes later I would imagine the oil temp has caught up so it would be OK to start having real fun.

What do you guys do/suggest?

Cheers

I always wait till it hits 90 degrees and then I feel it is ok to boot it.

The M3 has a graded rev counter that has red markings indicating when it is safe to use more revs. Even from a cold start, not all of them illuminate, and I was surprised how quickly they dissapear, usually just before the coolant was up to temperature.

On the S4, oil temp takes at least 5 minutes more than coolant to reach usual operating range, but going by the M3 (and taking into account that the S3 / 4 has a turbo) the coolant being 90 degrees should be fine plus say 1-2 minutes

There seems to be a delay sometimes on the gauge compared to what it says using the climate control display.

Also, a mate who used to have an A6 1.8T noted that the oil was at temp before the water. My old Xsara VTS took a good few minutes after the water to get to temp.

If I need to or want go, I'll go full throttle once at 90, but I usually leave it a wee touch longer. I keep it to 3K as well, motorway excepted.

awe bless Mark, you've owned up to owning a Xsara! LoL glad to hear from you again, been busy?