Up "you-know-which" creek

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Yesterday, I borrowed a neighbour's car to take some rubbish to my local tip. On the way back, I got gone by a mobile laser unit, & issued with a 3-point, £60 fixed penalty notice. I have to surrender my licence in the next 7 days to have the 3 new points added to the 3 I already have from last year. I will also have to take in my neighbour's insurance & MOT certificates.

He called round with the documents this morning & we both had a good look. From the wording on the insurance certificate, it looks like I wasn't covered. If that's the case, & I'm done for driving without insurance as well, the penalty is 6 points, which will take me to 12, and that'll mean a ban.

Doea anyone know how long a ban I might get for 12 points arising from 2 speeding offences & driving without insurance?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

have you not got your own vehicle?, most insurances will cover you to drive someone's car third party,

i have just seen your other post about the carpet, it is a shame you did'nt use my firm as we would i(if asked nicely )have taken the old one away and im only in Gillingham

Ver unlucky. Ring up your insurance company anonomously and ask in general whether their cover includes 3rd party use of another car if the car is insured.

I know directline don't for under 25 year olds, myself included unfortunately!

Have a look on the dvla website, that might indicate ban periods, although you could plea whatever the term is to say that you didn't know you weren't.

[ QUOTE ]
Audisteve said:
have you not got your own vehicle?, most insurances will cover you to drive someone's car third party,

[/ QUOTE ]

Man you are a lifesaver!!!!! I went & re-read my policy certificate. I only checked the "vehicles covered" section before, which specified my car or one lent to me for up to seven days by a garage, or authorised repairer, etc.

Then I read on & came to the section on who is covered. That's when I found the bit you were referring to, that covers me for third party risks on any other vehicle with the owner's permission. Phew!! Have just been up to the station & got it all over with.

Audisteve, I owe you one big time!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

glad i could be of help geoff, us kent boys have got to stick together

One other thing to remember about the 'Driving other vehicles on 3rd party cover' clause is that the car you are borrowing has to have valid insurance already on it. If the vehicle has no insurance then your insurance company will NOT honour the 3rd party clause and if you are caught you will be liable for whatever action the police throw at you.

Lucky for you things were ok, the last thing you want is to have additional points on your license as insurance companies put additional premium loading for people who have been caught with no insurance!!!

JDP, GLAD EVERYTHING WORKED OUT OK!.I DONT KNOW IF THE MOBILE UNIT TAKES VIDEO EVIDENCE OF WHO'S DRIVING BUT YOU CAN ASK THE ROZZERS FOR THAT EVIDENCE IF THEY HAVE IT, IF THEY DONT THEN THERE IS NOTHING TO SAY THAT IT WAS YOU DRIVING.MY MATES GOT A SIMILAR PROBLEM BUT HES ON 9 POINTS AT THE MOMENT AND LOOKING AT A BAN, FORTUNATELY FOR HIM THERE IS NO VIDEO EVIDENCE SO HIS MISSUS IS TAKIN THE RAP FOR IT!!!..JUST SOMETHING TO BEAR IN MIND IN CASE IT HAPPENS AGAIN MATEY...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good idea v6avant but I don't reckon his neighbour would be willing to take the rap. I'm also assuming that the police issued the notice to JDP in person or they used a ****** quick royal mail service.

Great thread though, I really felt for you JDP but with Audisteve coming to the resuce it all turned out nice again.