S3 8L Rear Brakes

WildBruce

Third Gear
Reaction score
So, need to replace the disks and pads on the back, actually .... probably should have done it ages ago ... especially as the handbrake gave in once, but hey, I had a holiday to go on [actually, two :icon_thumright:]

So back now, and got quoted this by a dealer:
A) Parts [Disks and pads] - £148.52 [Standard]
B) Parts and fitting £238.36

So my questions:

1) Is this a good price [for A and B]
2) How does the price of any uprated parts compare [I am NOT replacing callipers]

If the price of uprated parts is "comparative" in value to the increased in performance, then I may go with that, unless adding more braking power to the rear over the front [front is currently standard as well] is going to be a bad idea?

Answers and opinions welcome

Think I paid about 35 quid for discs and 18 quid for pads from GSF, easy to fit apart from needing a brake piston winding tool (about £15)

Simples...

<tuffty/>

Don't suppose you have part numbers? Their site is not very good?

I'll have to have a look on an invoice if I can find it when I get home from work or have a look back through some of my posts as I am sure I have posted them before :)

Give them call if all else fails. My local GSF stocks zimmerman discs too which are more expensive. Really isn't worth paying more for rears tbh, just get the Padgid pads and all is good.

<tuffty/>

Expensive bling IMHO.... the rears on an S3 don't do a lot. Buying expensive discs and pads seems a pointless exercise and you would get better braking effort putting the money into a decent front setup of DS2500's and EBC Ultimax or Black Diamond discs. Put 'decent' quality OEM style stuff on the rear or find some cheaper grooved discs if you really want bling.

<tuffty/>

Expensive bling IMHO.... the rears on an S3 don't do a lot. Buying expensive discs and pads seems a pointless exercise and you would get better braking effort putting the money into a decent front setup of DS2500's and EBC Ultimax or Black Diamond discs. Put 'decent' quality OEM style stuff on the rear or find some cheaper grooved discs if you really want bling.

<tuffty/>

I was just going for the uprated drilled and grooved discs to match my Porsche 322mm front brakes, I agree, expensive bling!

Ah, I can see your thinking mate... can't put a price on bling ;P

<tuffty/>

Have you thought of using a mobile mechanic such as 4Rings Ltd ? I have never used them, but apparently the owner is an Ex Audi technician and I've only read positive feedback from this website. Not sure whether the whole job is cheaper and you obviously then have (i presume) the option to just buy any parts you want and he can fit them ?

I used 4rings, they are great, would use them again without hesitation!!!