Jabba Remap

Pinola

Reaction score
I'm unsure What to go for I want the car to feel faster but i'm not going to mod it keep it standard (apart from forge DV) so would a Generic - Stage 1 do ok?

I know Custom - Stage 2 would be better but is it worth the £115 more?

Whats the most you should give your engine before upgrading the internals also what internals need doing rods pistons........

I have 2001 S3 AMK engine 85k on the clock

remap.jpg

Thanks

Dan

Last edited:
3" DP, Sport/De-cat, Exhuast system, induction kit/air filter, FMIC. Thats whats normaly required for stage 2.

is it worth spending all that money for the extra 10 - 20hp would i notice the difference just having the stage 1 over the standard car

You dont need those things to have them doa custom map though. The exhaust etc will free up a few hp here and there, but on a limited budget, if your car is mechanically sound, just have the remap. The custom map would be best to maximise your power gain for and remap is best bang per buck. Also, if you add an exhause etc in the future, speak to Jabba who will normally tweak your map for a few quid to suit.

Yeah agree custom map is the best bang for ya buck but for a generic stage 2 map then they do recommend those mods.

Just go for a stage 1. You'll see a massive difference over standard.

Stage 2 'map' might only be 100 quid more, but it'll be a couple of grand with the mods described above!

Thank you ianysm thats the answer i was looking for :) I will get it booked in. been looking at other posts lots of people say about oil pumps (letting go) i may have it changed by jabba anyway to be safe as the car has done 85k. Think it's only a 1 and half hour job to change it.

also anyone know the answer to this question

"Whats the most you should give your engine before upgrading the internals also what internals need doing rods pistons........"

With regards to that i'd say speak to Badger, Tuffty, Rich or one of the mods (mark). Check this out in the meantime as they tend to give a shopping list with the upgrade and how far you choose to take it http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/

Last edited:
also anyone know the answer to this question

"Whats the most you should give your engine before upgrading the internals also what internals need doing rods pistons........"

As I understand it, it's the torque figure that is the most important here. IIRC, if you go above 330ftlb then the internals (rods predominantly I believe) and the clutch are at a noticeably higher risk of early failure. With the custom map I very much doubt you'll see much over 300ftlb.

Experts, please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

I always thought the rods were good for 350 bhp/lbft and the pistons near on 400bhp/lbft but i cant say for defo. Wouldnt want to risk it though.

I always thought the rods were good for 350 bhp/lbft and the pistons near on 400bhp/lbft but i cant say for defo. Wouldnt want to risk it though.

Its the torque which destroys things. Apparently anything over 300lbs is chancing it with the standard rods. But some people have run over 300lbs (all be it not much more) for a decent period without issues

I wouldnt chance it thats why im upgrading my rods, leaving the pistons though. Dont know whether todo the valves or not though!

What other mods you running and what bhp you making?

To the OP

With a stage 1 remap only you'll get at best 265bhp and 280lbft torque so no need to worry about uprating engine internals.

You might need to replace coil packs after the remap as the extra grunt highlights weaknesses, especially after 84k miles. Also the clutch might be another weakness.

Unfortunately both of these failed on me (but the clutch has only just gone as it was just a gentle slip in 5th/6th gear). Now its all sorted though and goes well.

Hi,

Had the Jabba generic map done about 10 days ago and its a hell of a lot better than standard. Everything is fine (coil packs giving slight issues but have the replacements ready to fit and they were doing it before the map anyway). I made the decision not to go for the custom, as for the little bit extra you may get out of the custom, I didnt think it was worth the extra cash at this time. Just go generic for now and then when you start doing the modifications (and by that I mean turbo back exhaust, etc.), book it back in for the custom.

Laurie

What other mods you running and what bhp you making?

Just the custom map. Jabba ran it 279bhp but I think that's optimistic. I had it run at Awesome GTI earlier this year and the graph is here http://www.david.barber.zen.co.uk/S3/awesome_results.JPG

Numbers are ATW, so when you include transmission losses jabba's claims aren't too far out. Not that the numbers count anyway, it's all about the torque shove ;)