ABS light on after wheel bearing replaced?

dgo1212

Reaction score
Hi all,today I replaced the nsf wheel bearing on my mates A4,(was the full hub type one with 4 bolts in the back) and upon starting the ABS,T/C and brake pad lights came on,also the speedo no longer works.Code read the vehicle with a launch computer and came up with fault code 00283(front left speed sensor) and something about short circuit to positive,unplugged the sensor and re read for faults and got the same code,so assumed I'd damaged the sensor,fitted a new sensor and the problems still there.All the wires look ok and the sensor looks to be lined up with the gear on the driveshaft,reading through another thread on here looks like someone else had the same problem however there was no explanation to why,anyone here know what this could be or had the same problem?It's a 52 plate 1.9tdi fwd

Short to positive sounds quite specific and i'd suggest you very carfully check over the wiring from the sensor back inside the car.

Should probably move this to the B6 section too, as its currently in the B5 one!

Are you sure you fitted the bearing round the right way? Most ABS sensors pick up form a magnet in the bearing, so the bearing has to be pressed into the hub with the magnet facing the sensor.

It's not unknown for this to happen! The new bearing should have a cover or sticker to indicate the magnet side.

HTH

Bearing can't go wrong way as it's the bolt on type not pressed and the ABS has a toothed gear around end of driveshaft instead of a magnet,other gauges are going mad now(rev counter all over place and temp gauge always in red) so he took it to a garage couple of days ago and the mechanic told him he'd had the same problem with 2 others and not to bother messing around with it as only Audi will be able to put it right?Funnily enough the guy who sold us the launch diagnostic machine said we'd never have to send cars to dealers again!

I would have to say it may be an earth problem if its affecting so many different parts, or water in the ECU box shorting the relays is not unheard of either

i would go with aragorn if you read it with the sensor disconnected and it still comes back with the same fault then you must of damaged to wiring or the connector . make sure the pins arn't bent and then carefully cut back the outer case of the wiring and check the wiring for breaks .
hope this helps:salute: