Induction ventilation

Lee Goodall

Reaction score
I'm getting the parts together to complete my T28 turbo conversion now and I need some way of getting extra air to the new filter.

Because of the position and dimensions of the turbo I can't fit the OEM airbox in so I've gone for an aftermarket cone filter. The filter will sit in a similar position to the airbox and I would like to feed as much cold air to that area as possible.

I was thinking ducting from the bumper maybe? Vented wing? etc.

Any thoughts?

Personally i wouldnt bother. When your moving along there is tonnes of air flowing thru the bay anyway, and when your stationary any ducts you install arent going to do anything.

I did an experiment on my old nova with an open air filter in the bay, and as long as you were moving, the temp probe (strapped to the cone filter as close to the engine as i could get it) would read ambient temp. If you stopped it would climb, then drop again once moving.

Not to mention that its getting rammed into a turbo thats going to heat it up anyway, then passed thru a nice intercooler to bring it all back down to sensible temps.

I should say though, cone filters are ***** at actually filtering air...

You sure you cant modify the stock airbox to fit?

It would mean a massive amount of bodging to get it in and I don't think I'd be that happy with it.

Surely if the bay temps aren't an issue and the filter can flow the same amount of air as OEM it wont be a problem?

I am reusing the SMIC dusting for an oil cooler. air flow or not, ducting can only increase air flow even when moving. Think if anything you want to have some kind of barrier between the back of teh filter and the rest of the turbo/engine assembly, it will sheild heat from teh intake and also channel the cool air into the intake when moving (instead of just blasting through the engine bay.
Any positive pressure you can create around the filter will decrease thermal load and improve the system.

I intend to lower my FMIC and fill in the gaps that are around it with some discreet ducting. will stop the loss of air flow around it and increase the volume going through it.

I agree some cone filter are pants, they filter the grit out but that is about it. decent ones (green cotton etc) are still prtty good.

ALL cone filters are ***** when it comes to actually filtering.

The elements just arent fine enough which is why they are oil impregnated to try and catch more crap. The oil just ends up shagging the AFM though, so you put less oil on and catch even less crap.

ALL cone filters are ***** when it comes to actually filtering.

The elements just arent fine enough which is why they are oil impregnated to try and catch more crap. The oil just ends up shagging the AFM though, so you put less oil on and catch even less crap.

What would you suggest then mate?.. remembering that I can't use the airbox :think:

Theres nowt much you can do. Accept you have to use a cone filter, only oil it a little to save the MAF and rebuild the engine when it dies :p

Or make the airbox fit!

Perhaps look at airboxes from other cars to see if anything can be adapted? Or find a tube shaped paper filter and knock something up :D

Lee... if you putting ducting in, make sure it doesn't come loose and rest on top of the turbo... *cough*

You got a spare standard air-box going then...? :yes:

Theres nowt much you can do. Accept you have to use a cone filter, only oil it a little to save the MAF and rebuild the engine when it dies :p

Or make the airbox fit!

Perhaps look at airboxes from other cars to see if anything can be adapted? Or find a tube shaped paper filter and knock something up :D

Airbox from another car could be an option but I'd imagine anything decent will need to be similar dimensions and ideally it needs to take a 3" maf housing too.

Hmmmmm?

Lee... if you putting ducting in, make sure it doesn't come loose and rest on top of the turbo... *cough*

You got a spare standard air-box going then...? :yes:

I wouldn't run it over the turbo that'd be asking for trouble ;)

I will have the OEM airbox up for grabs in a couple of weeks. It has been shaved and drilled though.

simota do fully sealed intake systems as do most manufactures just have a look around to see who does the best filter type, non oiled preferably

Looked at Simota but the filter elements are still oiled.

Needs to have a disposable paper element or else as far as I can see it'll need oiling.

Last edited:
let me know if you find anything as i need a new filter as the person before me fitted a silly cone then fire cemented a heat shield next to it right where the air box used to bolt so i have to try to either grind it all off and buy a new air box or change it to a new sealed type cone

green cotton filters are not oiled and being cotton based do not suffer from the foam and mesh problems that K&N, Bimota, Jenvey, ITG suffer from.
they also have as fine a substrate as most paper filters

thats the point, they were developed to be used on MAF cars that don't like oil.

they only suffer when badly positioned and not adequately sheilded or ducted

I wouldn't run it over the turbo that'd be asking for trouble ;)

I will have the OEM airbox up for grabs in a couple of weeks. It has been shaved and drilled though.

Shaved and drilled is better than none at all!

*please note* - I didn't run mine over the turbo... it just came loose! :p

****** me... I always thought the Green cotton filters were oil-free.

I think some people worry far too much about these things.

If the filter is lightly oiled it will be fine. I ran a K&N panel filter in my car for 5 years and my maf is still alright.

Just dont be daft with the oil and if its well oiled before you fit it clean it and reapply oil yourself.

I think you will be fine and dandy with a green cotton or similar.

I do think I'll be going down the green cotton route.

I ran a Pipercross foam filter for a couple of years too with no issues.. always made sure it was oiled just right mind.