Is this an unusual place for corrosion bubbles?

Tiger

Reaction score
I noticed that just in front of my rear arches on both sides, 6 inches above the sills are 2 very very small areas (5p piece sized) where the paint is bubbling indicating some rust underneath. I've heard people's corrosion stories but not in that place.

I'm getting it fixed at the bodyshop anyhow but is it unusual?

Last edited:
thats 97 I think,read the corrosion stickies above the section but I hope I'm wrong in saying you'll be struggling for warranty work to repair it

I read through all the sticky posts, good to know what to look out for. I know theres no hope of getting mine done through the warranty so i'm not even going to waste my time. My car is the 1998 S Plate.

The area's are small so i'm taking it to a local bodyshop to get them to sort it out for me to nip it at the bud.

Just don't remember seeing anyone else post about corrosion in this area, more below trim, gutters etc.

mine has 2 very small bubbles like that in the same place but mine are pin size, i went to audi for warrenty repairs and they told me there not corrosion its a tone chip then water gets under the paint and causes the bubbles, he showed me on his microscope to, i kind of thought this was the case before i went but thought id try my luck, he sugested cleaning it out and use touch up to stop it getting worse, sounds like yours is quite bad though

They really are very tiny areas, the paint hasnt broken, i'm just reluctant to poke around and break the surface. I would have never have noticed it had I not got down to clean some wax off in the area. These things can spread though, which is why I want to get it sorted. There is no sign of stone chips to either side and the fact its in the same place either side was just unusual, hence why I asked.

I have a few very small (3mm diameter) bubbles in a similar position on the rear wheel arches. The have very small chips visible at their centres, indicating that they have been caused by stone chips. Mine is a 2003 though. Anyway, I'm also planning to have them removed at some point before they spread.

These are stone chips. I have the same on mine; I took it to Audi who said it was caused by tiny stone chips, which didn't make sense to me. My friends family own a BMW dealership so I took it to them to get an honest answer and they said the same.
I think its more common/likely on S3s as the arches are more pronounced.
Unfortunately Audi won't do anything about this under warranty work as the corrosion has occurred from the outside in, rather than from underneath.

They really are very tiny areas, the paint hasnt broken, i'm just reluctant to poke around and break the surface. I would have never have noticed it had I not got down to clean some wax off in the area. These things can spread though, which is why I want to get it sorted. There is no sign of stone chips to either side and the fact its in the same place either side was just unusual, hence why I asked.
well there caused by stone chips hence why everyone else has told you the same!