slow wipers

Izzy1

Vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
As you are all aware the B5 wipers are wack and tend to slow down when you really need them.

what is the fix for this? what do i need to replace?

cheers

Thanks Andy.

looks like i'm going to make a mess on the weekend then. just hope the weather is nice.

This is a common issue, which also happened with my A4. But it seems to be more problematic on the 99.5 models (and B6s), is this right?

I'm pretty sure mine was caused by a badly fitted windscreen, the wiper scuttle had not been clipped back in properly and had been damaged, so all the rain from the windscreen was getting underneath where the wiper mechnism is. Don't know if it's a design flaw and it only effected one of the barrels on the mechanism.

i'll check mine over the weekend and see if i'm having the same problem.
will post my findings.

I intend to take mine out and rebuild it as a matter of course, although i dont think they have slowed up at all yet.

i will do a detailed guide when i get to this, but it wont be for a month or two.

not looking forward to driving home today. just hope it stops raining from 4.30-5 giving me enough time to reach home. wipers are totally seized.

hi guys,
just to give you an update on how i got on over the weekend.
i managed to fix the problem. drivers side spindle was totally dry and seized. after heating it up over the cooker and bashing it with a hammer a few times it came out.
only problem i have now is i've connected the motor on wrong. how my wipers come up a little and swipe back more. lol :banghead: hope for some good weather tonight to have the problem fixed. must say they work perfect now.
thanks for the guidence Andy. top man :beerchug: