Where is the aircon compressor ?

MingeBlue

Reaction score
I think mines dieing, where in the engine bay is it ?

I had the condensor replaced couple of weeks ago as part of an accident repair would they have had to touch the compressor to replace the compressor at all ?

Underneath the alternator, runs off the same accessory belt. :)

<tuffty/>

If its going or dieing, I'm I safe to drive the car but just as long as I don't turn the aircon on ?

As long as you don't turn it on yes. I would probably pull the wire to stop accidental enganment. As i have recently had this issue and the faulty pump pushed bits of metal into the pipes and has blocked it somewhere.

As for needed to touch it as part of the acident repair, hmm, it is mounted on the front of the engine, but quite high up, to damage it you would have probablby bent the frame and then it would not have been repaired at all. The condensor is the radiaotor looking thing mounted in front of the rad, so it hits first,lol

As long as you don't turn it on yes. I would probably pull the wire to stop accidental enganment. As i have recently had this issue and the faulty pump pushed bits of metal into the pipes and has blocked it somewhere.

As for needed to touch it as part of the acident repair, hmm, it is mounted on the front of the engine, but quite high up, to damage it you would have probablby bent the frame and then it would not have been repaired at all. The condensor is the radiaotor looking thing mounted in front of the rad, so it hits first,lol

Cheers, it was quite an impact as I hit a lorry wheel in the road on its rim, they had to replace the front plate or something as well behind the front bumper, its worth a try anyway. I've read sometimes it can just be the compressor clutch is that likely or when the compressor goes does it just go ?

Wierd thing is this is the second time its been in for a front bumper the first time I got it back the alternator had gone (it was fine when I took it in), now its the frigging compressor again it was fine when I took it in. Not much has gone wrong on my car but when they do its always a big bill :(

Compressor clutch.....If it is making a strange screatching/ scraping sound then it could be the clutch bearing. Mine was for a while then one day the bearing completely collapsed, causing the clutch to jam and i couldnt start the car at all. I got a whole AC pump off ebay and replaced the whole clutch assembly. The bearing was a toal mess though, all hot and melted- Over some time, the heat ruined the magnetic coils inside the clutch exposing the copper wire and burning the resin. So basically, even running the engine with the AC turned off wont help if this is the problem and you might have to get a tow home if it catches you out. Hope this helps.

Hi,

I'm taking the car back to the body shop tomorrow to see what they say, part of me thinks its not the compressor but its as a result of them fitting the new air conditoning condensor. The symptoms are when the air is on high I hear a humming noise like an air escape it doesn't sound mechnical, also I feel alot of vibration through the peddles, when the aircon is switched to a lower setting all symptons go away.

As they replaced the condensor what questions are worth me asking them about this, for example did they pump the system, replace the colant etc. I don't really know what to ask them, the crash repair place arent air con spealist so I suspest they have done something wrong.

Cheers :blackrs4:

Compressor clutch.....If it is making a strange screatching/ scraping sound then it could be the clutch bearing. Mine was for a while then one day the bearing completely collapsed, causing the clutch to jam and i couldnt start the car at all. I got a whole AC pump off ebay and replaced the whole clutch assembly. The bearing was a toal mess though, all hot and melted- Over some time, the heat ruined the magnetic coils inside the clutch exposing the copper wire and burning the resin. So basically, even running the engine with the AC turned off wont help if this is the problem and you might have to get a tow home if it catches you out. Hope this helps.

I have this exact problem at present. I have gone to 'ECON' mode so that I do not use the AC Compressor - you mention this is not a good idea, how long is not good as I have got the car booked in for the end of the month but will be doing 1-2000 miles in that time. :huh:

Also do you have part numbers that I can use for reference when looking on vagcat.com? :salute:

Sorry for the late reply- am currently in the baltic sea for six weeks! DOH! Mine was doing it for quite some time before it fell over. Its hard to tell really but it wont make any difference with or without the Econ mode on. as its the main bearing which supports the pully. I cant remember off the top of my head what the part number is as i got a whole second hand AC pump and scavanged the clutch assembly to avoid having to dissconnect the hoses and fork out for a recharge. The pump part number is on a black label on the body of the pump. I think there were three different types of pump which could have been mounted on my particular age car!

Hope you get it sorted.