Air-con singing to me

MingeBlue

Reaction score
Hi,

Got an 02 A3 and over the last few days I've noticed my air con has started to sing, its like a humming sound and it comes and goes. I also noticed that if I have on full power some times I can feel quite bad vibrations through the peddles, its not all the time but sometimes. If I turn the engine off and run the aircon its fine no noise or vibrations, the air con temp feels the same as it always has so doesnt seem to be losing power. Does it sound like the compressor at all ?

I actually had the car repaid at crash repair place a couple of weeks ago as I hit a wheel it the road, alot of damage under the car, it was under the insurance. I know as well as replacing the front bumper they had to replace the plastic panel behind the bumper that the fans and other stuff bolt on to. I'm thinking its something to do with the repair, the air con was fine before it went it as I tested it after the smash.

Just want to get some idea / suggestions of what it could be before I start giving the insurance company grief.

cheers

I spoke to the body shop and they said they replaced the aircon condessor as part of the repair so its going back in.

Where in the engine bay is the compressor is it quite low down ? If it is the compressor I want to try and get it replaced on the insurance as part of the claim, can't be 100% sure the smash did screw it but it was fine before the accident, and seeing how much it will cost to repair its worth a punt.