How to improve 1/4 mile time?

lilegbeaner16

Reaction score
I finally took my car up to the track tonite to see what it runs. It's a 97 A4 Quattro. It's only got intake and 3" exhaust from the manifold back 2 high flow cats and a flowmaster Delta Series 40 muffler. At this point i do realized that i am losing power becuase there is not alot of back pressure. However, i dont think i should have done as bad as i did although my reaction time was horrible. My reation time was .726 and my 1/4 time was 16.262. Does anyone have any thoughts on how i could improve my 1/4 time without buying a turbo quite yet?

possibly a chip. if your car is stick, short shifter. take out your spare tire and stuff to lose a little bit more weight. that should get your time done a little bit more.

[ QUOTE ]
curtis11 said:
do not lift of the gas between gearchanges, this can make quite a difference to your time

[/ QUOTE ]
Who told you to do this???
Do you track this way??
This is an easy way to glaze the clutch, let alone s l o w down the shifts while the clutch plate tries to catch up with the drive gears.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

A while ago some mates and I had a drunken debate around filling mountain bike tyres with helium to reduce weight. We decided you'd be better off getting your hair cut!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16.262 with front wheel A4 non turbo? I wonder what my 1.8T runs excluding the chip/DV.

actully it's an all wheel drive, and im pretty sure that you could kill my time with ur eyes closed.

I don't know how to power shift everyone tells me that you have to hit it at the right RPM or else u could really mess things up. Personally im not willing to take my chances on that at all!

[ QUOTE ]
Markey said:
Is power shifting the same as double clutching???
Which is supposed to be good if you are quick enough to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Double-declutching is for down-changes, not upchganges. Anyway, what is all this 1/4 mile nonsense anyway? Who cares about thousandths of a second?

bang for the buck i'd go with the chip...specialy if you dont want to upgrade your turbo kit...

if you're a crazy *** use nitro /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would love to get a chip, but i don't know anyone that could possibly install it for me. The ones that work on my car will not touch anything that has to do with the ECU

Lileqbeaner, you've never actually mentioned what engine you have.

It is a 1.8T? Or a 1.9TDI? or what? You say it's a quattro, and to my knowledge a standard 1.8 was never made in quattro form. The reason I mention a standard 1.8 is that you go on about "buying a turbo and having a custom made install for it", which leads me to beleive you have a non-turbo 1.8, and you want to 'bolt a turbo on'.

I'm not saying it is, but if this is the case, then don't bother trying. You'll end up spending as much as the car is worth when you could have just sold the whole car, then spent a little bit more and bought a 1.8T. There's an awful lot of work involved in converting a naturally-aspirated engine to one using forced induction. Please accept my apology if you do have the turbocharged version, but if it's a case of "I've got a 1.8 that's not very fast, how can I make it do 12 second quarter miles?" then I'm sorry, you've bought the wrong car.

If you want a fast car, you've got to buy a fast car.

Andrew.

I wish i had the 1.8T. I made the mistake of buying the 2.8 without doing research, untill after i bought the car. I do realize that there is alot of work that will be going into the car, and i think i might actully do it. Everything will be a custom job with the install

I would have done that but the money to buy a supercharger is more then it would be to tubro charge it. A supercharger for the VR6 is $3500 from vf engineering, and i havent found any other companies that have a great rep as they do for cheaper price

[ QUOTE ]
lilegbeaner16 said:
I would have done that but the money to buy a supercharger is more then it would be to tubro charge it. A supercharger for the VR6 is $3500 from vf engineering, and i havent found any other companies that have a great rep as they do for cheaper price

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for a supercahrger install is normally a dam site easier in terms of installation and setup when compared to a turbo.

16 seconds doesn't sound so bad for the 2.8, and probably a few traffic ligt grand prixs to perfect the start and you'll be sub that....