HID/Xenon questions

pdv40

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

new user on here.

I've been looking into a number of retrofit options and been quoted silly money by my main stealer. Given that they gave the car back to me last time missing wheel nuts I'm not inclined to place any more business with them but that's another matter!

My question about Xenons is this, my basic understanding is that by law xenons need to have auto-levelling and washing devices fitted. Is this true? If so does that mean fitting a whole new bumper to accommodate the headlamp washer assembly or can that also be retrofitted into an existing bumper?

TIA

Pete

I'm not too sure about the bumper. I would imagine you would need a new one, new hid headlamps with ballast And the auto leveling, you may even need too get a vagcom so you can use the washer system. But I am not sure, all I know is that it is a pricey job. You can get the aftermarket hid kits but they are illegal because like you say, you need washers and autoleveling. Also the standard headlight is designed around standard bulbs, so if you throw in the aftermarket hid kits, the light would be all over the place and will blind oncoming cars. it is also very common with these kits that the wiper motor fails.

Given how mot's will change to cover xenon systems aswell then yes you'll need new bumper for headllight washers, new washer bottle/pump, wiring & pipes plus the actual jets aswell, plus you'll need new headlights, possibly extra wiring dependent on which xenons you have as they're 3 versions, xenon, bixenon & bixenon adaptive, all 3 will need the levelling system aswell due to laws & mot future requirements, which consists of axle sensor front/rear to determine the level of the car, plus a control module fitted internally that connects to the cars onboard systems, sensors & the headlamps, possibly a new network control board & also maybe even new headlight switch depending if you have headlamps with drl option that you want to switch on/off & it would need coding on the car to advise which headlights are installed.

All can be done aswell not by audi & as you're in london you're not that far from me, just a case of finding the parts & then fitting, its not as simple as I put it but not beyond possibilities, I've done fair bit on this so aware of most things required.

Dont even consider aftermarket, these have caused no end of issues with 8P owners as they blow the wiper motor which is a bill of £300 to replace/fit, just isnt worth it.

& welcome to the forum.

Thanks guys, much as I thought. I wouldn't consider the aftermarket route, I would only want a genuine retrofit, maybe I'll look at fitting some other toys :think: