strange beeps?

ollyste

Reaction score
Just noticed recently that each time i start the car (1999 S3),i can hear 4 beeps which seem to be coming from the boot area.I have never heard these beeps before in the 4 years i have owned the car...just wondering if anyone knew what they meant??
Cheers
Steve

Its the alarm siren in the boot. There are 2 batteries on the siren which are there to keep the siren sounding in the event that someone breaks into your car and then tries to cut the power. When these batteries can no longer hold their charge you get the 4 beeps to tell you.

I get this issues very rarely too and I bought 2 replacement batteries from Maplin (search and you'll find all the info) but haven't got round to replacing them as getting to the alarm is a PITA.

I done a search and found that this seems a common problem...will keep a check on it now as it does seem to happen on first start up.
Dont think i will be changing it myself just yet but i will speak to Simon at central vw audi in ellesmere port who does all the work on my s3 for me and may be able to find me one and fit it.
I have noticed that these cost about 80 quid to replace and is this still the case??
Cheers
Steve

Dont replace the siren mate you can get the batteries for £12 and get them soldered in place of the old ones. A VAG garage will tell you you'll need a whole new siren cos they wont want to fanny about soldering things.

I would say keep an eye/ear on it and see if the beeps go cos mine did. Apparently if you dont sort the batteries then thye can leak onto the siren and screw it up anyway.