Grinding/Rumbling on Deceleration. Please Help!

S_workman

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

First of all a big hello as it is my first post on this forum :hi:.

I own a 1999 A3 1.8 TSport. I am getting a rumbling noise when i am decelerating. The noise kicks in at about 60 MPH then dissapears at about 40 MPH, the noise seems to emanate from the nearside front wheel and will dissapear if i push the clutch pedal. I sometimes get the same noise when i drive round a roundabout or take a right corner at speed, Also if i hit a puddle at anyspeed and the water splashes up into the engine bay the noise gets real bad.

Also the car has to be fairly warmed up to make the noise and as per usual everytime i try to have someone listen to the noise the car runs fine :banghead:.

Any ideas much appreciated guys, Just found out i have a wee one on the way and the car just doesnt feel safe.

Cheers.

Scott.

I'm no mechanic to say the least, but i'd have your offside driveshaft checked. The only way you're going to get a resolution to this problem is by having someone look at it.

Do you have a friend who could help? It might be obvious if you could have a look yourself somehow!?

Sorry i'm not much help. The above is what i'd do.

G

When i had my A3 i had something very similar although mine would do it all the time when engine breaking, it turned out that the fly wheel had broken up...

I'd just got it to...