Attempted Coolant Flange - ****!!!!

ScottyP45

Reaction score
Its a proper **** to change the coolant flange.

I tried yesterday, got as far as removing the PCV valve and could not get any further, due to a silver cylinder above the flange that completely blocks hand / spanner / anything from reaching the 2 10mm bolts that hold the flange on, I think its going to have to be a garage job :sob:

Anyone know what that silver thing is? tried searching vagcat but to no avail. Dont want to pull it off unless I know what it does and what is likely to come out if its removed!

I also found when dismantling bits that the PCV tubes are thick with semi dry oily sludge crap, and that all 4 fuel injectors are showing signs of leakage, probably from the sealing o rings but could be the upper connections from the rail.

Proper ****** off now, cos if I cant do it on the driveway then i'll have to nurse it along for another month until I can afford to pay the garage to do it.

:banghead:

PCV valve?

What exactly is this coolant flange?

Where abouts on the motor is this silver cylinder? whats connected to it?

Aye the PCV valve sits on top at the rear of the head, then under that is a stainless steel cylinder that is on a small manifold and bolted to the rear of the head, the manifold is vertical and a large-ish bore pipe runs from it to the turbo region, I reckoned it may be a pressurised oil feed to the turbo for cooldown after switch off, as I know the B6 has that feature - ie you dont need to idle it to cool the turbo cos the oil keeps circulating thru it after the engine stops.

That cylinder is above the plastic coolant flange that takes 2 pipes and the 2nd temp sensor, thats where the leak is, common on the B6 but hard to get to.

See here:

http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84054

The 3rd pic shows (from underneath) that manifold I was talking about.

That doesnt really look like an oil supply? Its too big...

It looks like its bolted to the cylinder head, next to the coolant flange? whats bolted to the other end of it? Oil lines tend to be small bore things, to keep the pressure up. If its a big bore pipe its not oil.

dont know mate, cant follow the pipe to the other end, it disappears under the turbo. May be pressurised water cooling feed then, ?

Thats the under view, on top of thatmetal flange / manifold is the stainless steel cylinder that looks like a pressure vessel or regulator...

I have a pic of the cylinder on me mobile if I can find the lead to transfer it onto the puter.

hmm from what i can tell from the diagram the turbo water feed comes from the metal coolant gallery at the front of the head, and returns to the lower side of the block somewhere

The turbo oil feed appears to come from around the filter housing, and returns to the sump. You should be able to spot the oil feed, as its the braided line that connects to the top of the turbo's central core then runs off round the engine as a solid metal pipe.

The B5 motor doesnt have this thing, and i've never looked closely at a B6 motor, so i'm not really sure what it could be :/

hey well done mate! I scoured vagcat and couldnt see that anywhere.

Excellent, its probably safe to remove the pipes then, didnt want to get any oil loss etc as I dont have any spare and a bit skint this month...

pipes will be fine, there's what looks like paper gaskets between the head and manifold, and the manifold and the cylinder, so if you remove them you may need to replace the gaskets.

yeah that occured to me, so I dont want to disturb the actual gaskets just the pipes, but that thing is in the way of swinging the spanner at all on the plastic coolant flange.

Do you reckon it would be easy / advisable to completely remove the plastic casing that encloses the entire floorpan of the car? Apart from looking like a toy Corgi underneath, the damn thing covers everything else up and the front cant stay off without taking the whole main section off too....

That way i would maybe be able to get up to it from underneath and not have the hassle of re-fitting the undertray cos thats a royal pain in the **** too :)