Plugs for 2.4 V6?

sam4191

If In doubt, Flat out!
Reaction score
:hi:Hello!

I checked a plug out the other day, and it is worn, but not nakerd. Anyways, I am going to replace them in a week or so (when i Can afford to). I seem to remember seeing that it was a Bosch +26 plug that I took out.

Just wondering what the recommended plugs are really. Would these platinum jobbies be any better, or not?

I am also thinking of getting a K&N 57i induction kit. A little chavvy, maybe, but have heard it will make a change to the sound?

any help will be appreciated!

thanks very much!

Sam

NGK BRK6E's should work fine and are nice and cheap.

Platinums arent really that good, they're fine if you want to leave it in the engine for 100kmiles but thats about it.

A K&N will make your induction noise louder and throater, but before you do that you might be able to get the noise for free by removing the ducting and drilling some holes in the lower half of the airbox. K&N type filters have oil in them, and this oil can damage the air flow meter. Try modifying the standard airbox first to see if it makes the noise you desire, before spending your hard earned on something that my break the motor ;)

The K&N gives an extremely nice sound from the engine, i had a k&n on mine and it was awesome. It does improve throttle response slightly, but as the filter is open and extremely close to the engine, you get a bit of heat soak pulling away. Top end how ever i did notice a difference. It wouldn't be my first choice of filter again, i'd look at something like a bmc cda, which is fully enclosed, also comes with a duct which goes directly on to your existing bonnet grille vent. They do require oiling and regular cleaning, but you can clean them with soapy water and just re oil.

here's a vid of my old 2.4 with the k&n on if you skip to 1:40 you can hear it, but it sounds a lot better when your in it. Clicky!!

The K&N gives an extremely nice sound from the engine, i had a k&n on mine and it was awesome. It does improve throttle response slightly, but as the filter is open and extremely close to the engine, you get a bit of heat soak pulling away. Top end how ever i did notice a difference. It wouldn't be my first choice of filter again, i'd look at something like a bmc cda, which is fully enclosed, also comes with a duct which goes directly on to your existing bonnet grille vent. They do require oiling and regular cleaning, but you can clean them with soapy water and just re oil.

here's a vid of my old 2.4 with the k&n on if you skip to 1:40 you can hear it, but it sounds a lot better when your in it. Clicky!!

what do you mean by 'heat soak'? If any performance was to be lost, i would rather it to be from the top end, because i love acceleration.

Cor!that BMC CDA does look the dogs, but well out of my budget for an air filter!:3sadwalk:lol.

I love your video! Gorgeous A4! Thought about those Wheels for my car, but wasn't sure, as my car is silver, so didnt go for them. lol.

Thanks for the reply by the way!

The engine bay is generally a hot area.

The standard airbox is ducted to the grille to ensure the air is as cool as possible. With a K&N style open filter, your simply drawing air from the engine bay.

While on the move at any appreciable speed the airflow thru the bay should ensure that the air drawn in is mostly cold. However at very low speeds, and while stationary, the filter will draw in mostly hot air from the engine bay.

Its not THAT big an issue IMO. In an older car of mine, (i've not tried this with the A4, even though it should be easier given that vagcom can probably read the air intake temps) I hooked up a temp sensor in the inlet tract wired to a display on the dash. At anything over about 20mph the display simply read ambient temperature, below 20 it would climb a bit, and while stationary, on a hot summers day it did get rather hot (the guage only read to 50c), but after sitting in traffic for 5 mins it did eventually climb past 50c, and read "HI" until we started moving again, at which point it dropped back down pretty quickly.

yes still like the vid hasn't aged at all, those wheels look bad *** on the move! Can't wait for Phantom V3 :respekt::drag::eyebrows:

Just to update you, I drilled some holes in the bottom of my air box today (savage, i know), but it does make the car sound much more aggressive! So I don't think i will bother with the K&N. i'll save myself £80 odd... niiiiice lol!