RNS-E - worth the money? can you have ipod connectivity?

Duncan

Reaction score
Website
www.skynews.com
Will soon be purchasing a 2005 TDI A3 s-line DSG,

am not spoilt for choice as i want to spend no more than 10k and want to have under 40k miles,

am considering buying the unit and getting it fitted but so far have only found one place that would stock and fit - http://www.fontain.co.uk

£1400 seems a lot of cash to spend on it

can i get ipod connectivity with it?

is there anywhere else that would fit it and what should i be paying for the unit and fitting?

cheers

Duncan

Yes you can connect an Ipod. (No track details on the RNS-E though)

£1400 is very steep IMO!

Its easy to fit yourself, although a little more involved if your original stereo is a Concert II, Its easier if the car has a Symphony II.

Have a good search of the forums, there are loads of posts about fitting the RNS-E.

have seen the posts about fitting yourself, would definitely get someone else to fit it for me as im just no good at that sort of thing.

is it any good? or am a bitter off spending the money on something else?

try vw cruise they are based in london and have a mobile service, they will come to you free of charge if your in london or a small fee if your out side. the do the rns-e fitted for about £800 they can also do the audi ipod connectivity for you for as little as £150 they do alot more audi options ( bluetooth, cruise control and much more ) http://www.vwcruise.com/9.html

try vw cruise they are based in london and have a mobile service, they will come to you free of charge if your in london or a small fee if your out side. the do the rns-e fitted for about £800 they can also do the audi ipod connectivity for you for as little as £150 they do alot more audi options ( bluetooth, cruise control and much more ) http://www.vwcruise.com/9.html

thats perfect - much better than the other company i was looking at,

Think its worth £850?

or would it be better to spend that on other I.C.E items?

i already have a pretty good garmin sat nav, i just dont like the idea of having a tape deck that im never going to use, also love the integration of the unit as well

ill be honest with you i bought the rns-e and i have never looked back. i had ideas of getting the pioneer unit but the way that the rns-e just integrates with the rest of the car with no need for facias and cutting or soldering wires. perfect. i think it was worth every penny in my opinion. plus it already has a good sound, so if you have the bose sound system, even better. plus the gps is quite good. what kind of i.c.e item did you have in mind?

was thinking about getting phatnoise - the hard drive system that fits into your boot or glove compartment

would that intergrate wtih the RNS-E?

i guess i would get that as well, i must admit i do love the way it looks.

apart from sat nav does it work with your mobile phone? ive got an iphone - could i bluetooth connect to it?

also does it have Driver information as well?

you'll get information on the D.I.S
you can get bluetooth adapter from that place i told you about. im not sure if it works with the new iphone.
im not sure if the phatnoise hard drive system works on the rns-e its just a matter of googling and seeing what works. there are alot of adaperts for the rns-e to do that jst have to look.

this company http://www.vwcruise.com/9.html is near me in london so might use them since they are the same price,

also may well get a multi function steering wheel upgrade as well, £600 including fitting (would be better if i could find a 2nd hand one as they only charge £100 for fitting)

Cant wait to get this car, shame im not going to be back in the UK until early / mid march

I was also considering the iPod adapter, but once you have the RNS-E with the 2 x SD slots... it's better to use the SD cards as you get full folder navigation on the screen and the track titles on the DIS.

Not sure if u can see the Track info, but here's a retro-fit:
ixus90_feb09018.jpg

£17 for 2x4Gb SD cards (inc delivery): I've ordered mine, but haven't received and tested them yet.... currently using 2 x 2Gb Sandisk Ultra II's.

yea, maybe SD cards is the way to go, can you mute the sat nav and still have music playing while you are being directed?

serious design floor if not.

SD cards for music would be really handy actually - 4gb's of music at one time, when you get bored just bring the cards in. would still need to get bluetooth..

cant wait to get this car!!!!