Coilpacks moving!!

nickrex

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Had the engine cover off the other week to change some piping and noticed that two of the coilpacks are sticking up higher than the others. Pushed them down so they seated right and checked it again yesterday. Sure enough they are sticking up again. Haven't had any misfires so they are obviously working fine and the car drives as it should. What would cause them to move like that especially as there is no obvious problem driving? Vag com shows no misfire fault either. Strange one!! Can anyone shed some light on this one?

It's the push fit design of the coild packs I'm afraid, they will sometimes just work loose.

IIRC on the early cars, there was a bracket to secure the packs in place, I believe the bolt holes are still on the head throughout all of the engine revisions (they are on my AMK) & some members have made their own brackets up so that might be a way around it?

there was a post about htis last year, but i cannot seem too find it.

this happened to one of mine when I removed it the sprk plug was one of those woth the screw top. This had worked loose and had erroded the top of the sprk plug and welded its self into the coil pack. Also on changing the plugs and this coil pack I found that spark plug was not torqued in correctly.

so id remove coil packs and check them along with the plugs

Ok cheers guys. Didn't think it was anything serious, as I said the car drives fine. Just curious. I'll pull them all out and check them.
Many thanks.

My cylinder 1 used to pop up a bit. When I changed my plugs I found cylinder 1 and 3 were less than hand tight, basically loose! cylinder 1 hasn't popped up since