Anyone with Bose in Cambridge?

glen_jai

Reaction score
Website
www.glenster.co.uk
Hi,
I seem to have some distortion coming from my sub when playing certain kinds of low frequency music. But to distinguish whether it is a design flaw or a defect with my subwoofer drivers, I need to listen to someone elses.

Anyone in the Cambridge area with Bose, kind enough to let me have a listen to their stereo with some of my offending music? (Not that my music is offensive, if you know what I mean).

Cheers,
Glen

Have a look at the centre screw on the front of the Bose sub. This is one of many weak points on the tupperware enclosure and I've seen quite a few that have been overtightened and cracked the side of the enclosure causing the sub to fart more than normal:
BoseA3subcopy.jpg

If it is blowing air out of this part then you can repair it, but you need to take the sub out, araldite the inside of the cracked part, then when dry do NOT overtighten the screw. Could also do with sealing the front panel with some silicone which wouldn't hurt.

I'm not in Cambridge, but if you're ever in London or the South East let me know and you can have my Bose setup because, for a 'premium' sound system, it really is a bag of *****. To say I was disappointed when I first heard it would be an understatement.

Have a look at the centre screw on the front of the Bose sub. This is one of many weak points on the tupperware enclosure and I've seen quite a few that have been overtightened and cracked the side of the enclosure causing the sub to fart more than normal:
BoseA3subcopy.jpg

If it is blowing air out of this part then you can repair it, but you need to take the sub out, araldite the inside of the cracked part, then when dry do NOT overtighten the screw. Could also do with sealing the front panel with some silicone which wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for the pointer, Andy. I'll have a look at it.
The sub is ok for most kind of music, its just for the really heavy stuff, it distorts quite badly.

I'm not in Cambridge, but if you're ever in London or the South East let me know and you can have my Bose setup because, for a 'premium' sound system, it really is a bag of *****. To say I was disappointed when I first heard it would be an understatement.

Hi golf,
Have you taken your bose out?

Cheers,
Glen

Glen, I haven't taken the Bose out, but if I keep the car for longer than a few months I might do. I was expecting a lot more from it to be honest, the standard system in my 2001 A4 is better sounding to my ears.

However compared to the system in the R32 the S3 Bose is amazing though. For a top of the range model it is appalling.