Are these problems related? Safe to drive?

Splab333

Reaction score
Its time again for another monthly problem with my S3.........
:blownose:

Right, after my negative intro.... I have been searching for info on this but I have a few problems that im wondering if they are related. I'll give the whole story for all you 1.8t detectives out there :thumbsup:

Last month, I had to fit a new head as mine was cracked, fitted the head and new cam belt etc but couldnt get the exhast manifold to stop blowing between that and the turbo. It had a new gasket and after a day of trying, I decided to tighten the new bolts further than the torque specified.... worked fine and I finally got it sealed.

Now its back on the road, I have noticed the temp guage never goes to the middle like it used to, its a 6 month old audi green top so dont think its the sensor, it always sits on the white dash to the left of the center one.

Im sure also the car seems hotter and the mani glows more often than it used to, what do I need to do to check the EGTs? I have vagcom but im not exactly a pro with it yet!

Even worse now is the fact I drove for 300 miles at about 80 and had a return of 27.3 mpg which is dire, when I do this run normally, its always over 30mpg even if I put my foot down a few times. I had to drive conservatively to get the mpg a bit better. Then finally on my return 300 mile journey, I put my foot down in 6th to overtake and as soon as it boosted, it really miss fired and shook the engine about a bit. Now, since then, I have had misses all through the revs after 2.5k

Thanks for any help, you are all probably getting familiar with my constant 'my s3 is broke' threads, I dont think I would have my car if it wasnt for all the help from you lot as garage fees aren't finacially an option for me at the moment, so thanks again for all the help, James

Fortunately I've not got much broken S3 experience, but the temperature problem could easily be thermostat. Its a £12 (or maybe £18) part and easy to replace with the right tools (there are threads on here about it) so it couldn't hurt to try.

As for the misfire I'll sound like a broken record on here and say coil packs? Having just changed my sparks plugs I've realised how easy it is to swap them around to see if one of them has failed. Vagcom logs cylinder misfires (block 15 and 16 I think) so if the misfire is in cylinder one swap the coil pack with cylinder two an see if the misfire moves with the coil pack.

Also, S3Fran had some similar problems, especially with fuel economy and it turned out to be a faulty fuel pump? Might be worth replacing if they don't cost much and easy to do (no idea about this though?).

2 new coil packs saved the day! was quite fun logging it all on vag com etc :)
I think I need a new thermostat though as my car wont reach normal temp and im thinking the reading is making the ecu change stuf as it thinks its not up to temp? anyone agree? I might start a new post on this one!
Thanks deece :)

Time to update my sig as well, more broken items to add.................