S3 tyre pressure lottery

A4CAB

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have had my S3 since Dec 06 and it had its second service last week at 22,000 miles. When the car was returned the ride felt quite firm and when I looked on the service sheet it showed the pressures were set to F 42 R 38. I noticed on the filler cp that these were the M+ S settings and these I believe should only be used when on mud or snow. I called the Audi garage who apologised and advised returning them to the non M + S settings of F 39 R 30.

The picture I took was very poor as taken on my phone last night but I have to say the filler cap is quite misleading, if you ignore the M + S settings then problem is there is not a setting for a fully laden car without M + S

The picture is very poor but the settings are:

3 people + 1 bag F 39 R 30
N/A as applies to 17" wheels
N/A as applies to 17" wheels
3 people + 1 bag M + S F 42 R 38
5 people + bags M + S F 46 R 46

So do most people just stick to the 39 30 configuration as this applies most of the time, just wondered if you were fully loaded what setting you would use.

Thanks AZ

Hi Paul,

Long time no speak! The M+S pressures are also to be used for the extra load (EL) tyres which are fitted to our cars. Are you still running on the Good Year asymetriecs?

Hi Paul,

Long time no speak! The M+S pressures are also to be used for the extra load (EL) tyres which are fitted to our cars. Are you still running on the Good Year asymetriecs?

Are they.......

I'm running mine at 39F and 31R...........

Picture1.jpg

OK here's the pic. I'm sure I read something about the MS EL ratings somewhere. I'll dig out the manual when I get home.

Hi Paul,

Hi mate

Yeah been reading but not posting, car is going very well and still loving it.

I am still using the Godyears after the swap from the Contis 2's fitted at ther factory. I am doing more motorway driving now so 8,000 miles in they both have 5mm of tread left, according to the service sheet.

If you do find anything let me know but the dealer agrees that M & S seetings should only be used for mud and snow.

AZ

The reason for the M&S pressures now appearing on the sticker is that there is now a legal requirement in Germany to have winter or M&S (Matsch und Schnee) tyres fitted in winter. If you are involved in an accident in winter conditions without them, insurance companies will reduce their liaibility to pay for any damage to your car.

We had a thread about this a while ago. Someone suggested to me to try 38-34 and it's the best combination I have tried.

Yeah i'm running 38- 32 at the moment