S8 Rear Calipers

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've been reading a guide on converting the S4 to use the S8's 280mm rear disks, the guide seems to suggest that you get a set of S8 carriers and use the original S4 calipers, but this is a problem.

My brothers S4 seems to be fitted with 245 x 10mm rear disks, instead of the more usual 256x22mm disks, meaning the calipers that are currently fitted wont actually fit round the S8 disks.

What i'm wondering is can i just use the S8 calipers complete? Or am i going to have to find a pair of vented S4 rear calipers and a pair of S8 carriers?

Why dont you just go over to RS246.com and do the B5 RS4 brake conversion then tend to pop up quite cheap, I know this does not answer your question but it may work out to be a better option.

it may be better, i was just thinking that S8 calipers would likely be much cheaper than RS4 items (they're less rare...), plus the 280x22mm disks cost buttons as they're used as front disks for lots of other VAG models. Whereas i'd imagine the RS4 disks/pads are bespoke to that model and are main dealer only, meaning v expensive!

yes but the B5 RS4 crew are usually going to B7 brakes and they then have fairly redundant leftovers.
I picked up a full set of front and rear calipers and discs with hoses from a B5 RS4 for £300.
the rear discs/pads are almost new, sold the front discs and calipers for £250!

£50 bargain!! and they bolt straight on. sweet looking discs too.
304mm if I recall

( and before you ask, on I am not running normal fronts... I have upgraded them as well)

Yer if it was a bargain like that then fine.

Any ideas how much replacement RS4 disks and pads are though? i suspect its many pounds! The S8 ones are about a tenner a disk from my local factors!

I'll tell craig to keep his eyes out on RS246, was just interested in wether the S8 calipers would work as it could be a cheap upgrade if i could get the calipers from a breakers/ebay and disks and pads for about 40quid new.

Do you really think the car would benefit from the RS4 312mm rears over the 280mm S8 items?

you can get decent second hand ones for £50-100 a pair.
the B5 rears are 304mm and B7 rears are 312mm IIRC

I've been reading a guide on converting the S4 to use the S8's 280mm rear disks, the guide seems to suggest that you get a set of S8 carriers and use the original S4 calipers, but this is a problem.

My brothers S4 seems to be fitted with 245 x 10mm rear disks, instead of the more usual 256x22mm disks, meaning the calipers that are currently fitted wont actually fit round the S8 disks.

What i'm wondering is can i just use the S8 calipers complete? Or am i going to have to find a pair of vented S4 rear calipers and a pair of S8 carriers?

You have the pre-facelift solid disks and calipers which, as you have found, can't be used
for this conversion. You should be fine with S8 calipers, the pn is the same I think. New S4
ones are about 100 quid each. You'll also need a few washers to space the carrier away
from the hub a little otherwise the disk won't centre in the caliper. I agree with you on
the RS4 rears, new disks are daylight robbery.

jcb: wikipedia suggests that B5 RS4 is 312mm and B7 is 320 on the rear, B6/7 S4 has 304mm rears i think..

Thanks for the tips jonnya.

I'll tell him to try n pick up a pair of the S8 calipers then.

Do you know if the master cylinder etc is different between the facelift and non wrt the bias to the rear brakes?

Just noticed this post.
I am breaking a low milleage 1998 S8, rear calipers, carriers are good. 269x20mm discs.
Ring for details
Philip
P W Motorsport Ltd
01437 563793

i think we'll try to hold out for a facelift one with the 280mm disks, but thanks for the heads up, will keep you in mind if we cant find the larger ones. (if you get a facelift car in, let me know!)