remote or immobiliser playing up

TDI

Reaction score
i've changed the battery but no joy, it's hit and miss at the moment. I can unlock the doors but sometimes it doesn't start. i thought it might be the battery. do you think i need to take to stealers to reprogram the key fob?? The car icon with the key below keeps coming up on the dash???

Cheers

K

1st you need to know the remote lock & the immo chip for starting are 2 seperate items not linked but both work from the fob, thats why locking works as its seperately working, the icon means the immo chip isnt working intermittantly, you wont need to recode if it works still, have you tried with the other key see if makes any difference as could be barrel which makes the chip allow starting

The key has a chip in the top of which is only operated when near the barrel as it then uses an inductive field to read the chip which then allows the car to start, the remote is just a small pcb that you can code yourself with vagcom to lock/unlock the car, the immo chip however is a dealer job now or a professional car key person & even thats hard these days with the new systems in place by audi, the dealers dont do anything anymore, all done down the pipe from germany over net, dealers dont see skc codes, anything anymore.

New keys have gone down in price I believe, try audi 1st mate as I wouldnt trust external key guy as they could easily code a spare key for your car whilst doing yours.

1st you need to know the remote lock & the immo chip for starting are 2 seperate items not linked but both work from the fob, thats why locking works as its seperately working, the icon means the immo chip isnt working intermittantly, you wont need to recode if it works still, have you tried with the other key see if makes any difference as could be barrel which makes the chip allow starting

The key has a chip in the top of which is only operated when near the barrel as it then uses an inductive field to read the chip which then allows the car to start, the remote is just a small pcb that you can code yourself with vagcom to lock/unlock the car, the immo chip however is a dealer job now or a professional car key person & even thats hard these days with the new systems in place by audi, the dealers dont do anything anymore, all done down the pipe from germany over net, dealers dont see skc codes, anything anymore.

New keys have gone down in price I believe, try audi 1st mate as I wouldnt trust external key guy as they could easily code a spare key for your car whilst doing yours.

Hi NHN

i've tried the second key too, and it behaves the same. do you think the barrel is on it's way out? i wonder how much that's going to cost :-(

Ok since its both keys then this leads us to believe its a fault on the car, lets not say its the barrel just yet, ask on here for someone local with Vagcom for a scan as I'm guessing it will throw some codes that we can check against with ross-tech, this will help, I would but I'm nowhere near you mate, when you scan make sure they save the codes & post back on here fella any modules that show a fault.

VAG-COM will likely reveal a bad inductive key reader at the ignition switch. That would be my guess if both keys have suddenly stopped working.