S3 2002 - Battery requred..which one?

Enigmatic1

"Vorsprung durch Technik"
Reaction score
After a sprited drive last night car started smelling of sulphur. When I pulled over there was some sort of smoke coming from the engine bay. It was coming out of a small hole in the right side of the battery.

Wish to change the battery - going to pop down to Halfords - what battery do I get?

Thanks guys.

Not one from Halfords!
Bosch silvertop is your best bet from GSF or similar.

I am also looking for a battery for my s3 and am buying from gsf as i believe they should be the cheapest, is it silver top type H5 that would be my best fit?

Went to GSF..battery was wrong size - too big for the bay :-(

was too late to change it..

will go back 1st thing in the morning.

It was just over £70 inc vat.

Anyway...changed the battery - all lights etc came back on but car wouldn't start - wouldn't even turn over...anyway left it a few minutes and tried again. It started! Took it out for a drive - no noticeable issues. Parked up - came back out to the car and its totally dead! No turn over, no lights no anything!

Anyone got any ideas? Nirros reckon its the alternator or possibly one of the fuses on the battery....

Richard.

Schoolboy error, spank yourself severely, but at least you owned up (which I wouldn't have done).

Picked up a Bosch battery from GSF its there new range which are now called S3 for the lower range, S4 for the middle range and S5 for top of the range. I tried to purchase the S5 but they told me they do not stock them as there is no demand for them as every one buys the cheaper and just as good S4 range. So i picked up a S4 battery which cost me 76.24 inc. VAT and comes with 3yrs warranty. The bosch part number for the battery was 560 409 054