Rear Numberplate Fixings Siezed

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
ive just been out trying to fit my number plate holders and i got a bit stuck with the rear one

the fronts on fine, but one of the screws that holds the rear one on has basically disintegrated and the head is now just a rusty blob!

I was going to take a drill to the head to get the plate off, but then i realised i'd no idea how to affix the new plate. What exactly do the screws go into? the tailgate itself? If i drill the head off, am i going to have to drill the entire screw out before fitting a new larger one with the numberplate carrier?

Ideas please :)

Depends where the original was fixed.There are plastic mounting holes in the bootlid, but i have yet to see an older car using them tho, its usually self tappers. I would use pliers/snips to remove the "stump" and look afterwards

i just drilled them used extra strong velcro,never had a problem plus looks nicer without screw heads and when pc plod wants them rid i swap them at road side!

nice was exsactly the same.. . got a grinder to em.... and bonded the new number plate on!

jobs a gooden!

i took the other one off and had a look behind, it seems like a circular black thing that sits in the tailgate itself and the screw goes into this...

I dont really fancy using stick pads especially as the curve of the bootlid means they'll be under tension to try and pop out

On the front i screwed the plate holder to the car with 4 screws then just clipped the plate into the plate holder. The screwholes in the plate are still there, but i'm not going out to buy new plates!

I think i will carefully drill out the old screw and be able to attach the surround using a new larger screw or failing that a bolt with a nut on the inside.

I replaced my breather pipe today which was a ****** to get to but seems to have cured most of the oil smell in the cabin!

Got the engine and gearbox mountings to change too, i put them off today as i looked like it was going to rain, then didnt bother, and its going to be getting two new tyres and front alignment next week as well. So much for being cheap to run eh? i also noticed when looking at the engine mounts that the front flexipipe looks a bit knackered and i'm thinking thats perhaps been the source of the exhaust blow i can hear when driving along next to walls and fences, so will have to see about getting either an OE replacement or something aftermarket depending on cost, that can probably wait till MOT time though!