Alternator Query

juntz

Reaction score
Hi guys over the last couple of nights the battery voltage warning light has been appearing on the DIS, on the way to work today the car decided to give up and cut out completely.

Rac came out put an amp meter on the battery and confirmed it was not holding its charge(10 volts). He did not check the alternator as it was in an awkward position according to him.

The car has now been taken to my local garage, what i would like to know is could this actually be the battery that is knackered and not the alternator as i understand they are a few quid to replace and especially as i need a new cv joint and brake pads this is not a good time for this to happen.

I understand that the alternator can also be fixed? and does anyone know where i could source a refurb from

any help would be muchly appreciated

cheers

Regarding yuor alternator, alot of places will exchange yours for theirs(theirs being a refurbed one) depending on where you are in the country, there are alot of local shops that do this, but just a case of finding, best bet would be to ask in a local garage or google it.

Got a quote yesterday for a new alternator. £280 including VAT and labour.

It is possible to check the output of the alternator quite easily by putting a volt meter on the terminal attached to the battery, coming from the alternator itself. It should read around 14.5 volts with no load. If you have rear window heater, headlights etc switched on, it should maintain a reading of 13 to 14 volts. Anything less and like me, you'll keep coming back to a flat battery if it's left to stand for any period of time!

Hope this helps...I'll try to add a pic or two later to help you out!

Chris.

Hi guys, a friend of mine who works at a local electrical motor factors store managed to check it out and the regulator had gone, wacked a replacement in for a tenner and all is now good.

cheers