Mirror glass

MrB

Reaction score
Probably not the most important first question I could have thought of, but it's puzzling me anyway so here goes!

I'm looking at a 2001 S3 (210), it doesn't have the aluminium mirrors which I think I have determined were an option (and I am undecided about whether they look better or not!), but my question concerns the glass. It just doesn't look 'Audi' to me (well it's not like my A4 mirrors anyway).

I'll try to explain. The glass is 'plain' it doesn't have a black plastic trim around it. In fact, it looks a bit like the cheapo stick on stuff you can get. It's all 'corroded' any way, so I will be getting the dealer to change the glass, but should I expect the new glass to have the black trim?

Thanks for any help, there'll be plenty more questions soon no doubt (although I have read/am reading the buyers guid and FAQ).

Not sure what you mean black trim? The mirrors on my A3 (that I bought from the dealer) and the S3's I've seen dont have a black trim, they are tinted only?

I don't think I have explained it that well!!

What I mean is, should there be a thin black plastic edge that sits slightly proud of the glass and goes all around the edge of the glass? Or should the edge just be the edge of the glass? I have a spare A4 mirror I can maybe use to illustrate what I mean later.

My A4 mirrors have the black plastic edge, but the S3 I looked at didn't have. It didn't look very 'audi' to me, looked like it had possible had cheap replacement glass.

I guess the answer is to tell my dealer to replace the glass with genuine Audi stuff (it has to be replaced anyway as they are both shot).

Thanks