CV Joint / Steering Rack or some other issue?

Wicked666

Reaction score
Website
www.talkaudio.co.uk
Hi. I suffer from the clicking problem that many others have, but as yet there is no consensus as to what it is.

Basically when I reverse out of a parking space on full lock, there's a loud click from each of the front wheels. When I drive forward on full lock both wheels click again. One after the other.

My garage thought it was the coilovers that were worn so I got new srings & shocks. Noise was still there so he's just changed the ARB bushes and wishbones. The noise is still there. He cannot locate it because it won't do it over the pit as theres not much room for it to travel.

He knows the car inside out and even went for a drive with someone who works for VW and they don't know what it is. It sounds just like a spring problem but the springs have been changed.

I thought might be CV joints but he's said they're fine and doesn't want me to waste money on changing them. He said if it's CV joints, then it will keep clicking while on fill lock, not just do it once.

Does anyone have any ideas what it is?

Cheers

Sorry bud, sounds like he has taken enough money off you already for nothing, I don't suppose he gave you money back when he discovered that there was sod all wrong with the Suspension...he is just feeling bad about it...It sounds like the groan and clicks of an old car to me...

Good luck nonetheless

Does the noise come from inside or outside the car?Can you feel it through the wheel?does it happen when the car is up on a ramp and turning whilst there is no load on the wheels?Also does it only happen when the car's moving?

Apologies btw there seems to be something messed up in my posts with the paragraphs (i.e they arent there)

bottom ball joint ???? I used to get a simular thing on my old crx tried to fix it for ages then jsut took the bottom ball joint off and it was fecked........... problem solved.

clicks and squeeks can be almost impossible to find... good luck

Does the noise come from inside or outside the car?Can you feel it through the wheel?does it happen when the car is up on a ramp and turning whilst there is no load on the wheels?Also does it only happen when the car's moving?

Hi

It happens only when the car is moving and when there is a load. Turning the wheel on the spot does not do it. It seems to be when I change direction too.

So if i'm gonig backwards, it clicks. When I start going forward it clicks again then stops. If i'm on motorway for a bit, as soon as I get onto 30mph roads, it clicks and then stops. When reversing into a parking space, it clicks.

It's as though something is loose and needs to move into position.

I wish I didn't change my suspension because it was nice and low before and it so high now

bottom ball joint ???? I used to get a simular thing on my old crx tried to fix it for ages then jsut took the bottom ball joint off and it was fecked........... problem solved.

clicks and squeeks can be almost impossible to find... good luck

Is this the same as a CV joint?

ARB Drop links? I have a clunk from the rear and this was down to excessive play on the drop links.

no botton ball joint is different to the cv joint, you also have track rod ends in that area.

like I said knocks and creaks can be a mare to find sometime you just have to strip things down and check for play

I wish I didn't change my suspension because it was nice and low before and it so high now

If yours is the sports version, i fear he has put the wrong struts on...! Sports susp. sits 20mm lower than standard I believe

Thanks for all the replies

Light click or heavy clunk that you can feel also?

It's a heavy clunk that I can feel through the wheel.

If yours is the sports version, i fear he has put the wrong struts on...! Sports susp. sits 20mm lower than standard I believe

It is the sports version! This sounds plausible. I'm guessing there's no way I can check which he's put on without buying new struts, fitting them and checking.

The mechanic said he may have fit standard struts so will get some sports ones from Vag parts and get them swopped and the car sitting better.

Thanks for that.

With regard to noise - he said ball joint is part of wishbone so that's eliminated.

Does anyone know if a dodgy CV joint would click once or keep clicking when moving at full lock?

Not sure mate....Why not get a better suspension system if your willing to pay for new struts, see recent link on suspension....the A3 sports one is pretty harsh.

Is it the top mount or strut (or are they the same) that lets the car sit 20mm lower? I've got KW suspension fitted that is specific for the A3 quattro and gives a 30mm drop. I had FK coilovers before and when swopping the mechanic said a part at the top was missing. Is this the part that he may have bought that is 20mm too high?

Hope that makes sense.

What wheels do you have out of interest.....?! I had a "clicking" after a service and the garage thought they had messed someting up, changed a Wheel bearing, CV joint, ball joints, all FOC I might add as it did not cure it. Turned out to follow one of the split rim audi BBS wheels arouind the car when we swapped them about. Two of the bolts needed helicoiling all is now well!

BTW, garege swallowed all the cost but I insisted on givin them £50 for their trouble as i have a new wheel nbearing and new cv joint!!

It would be worth you swapping your wheels fornt to back just in case!!

I have audi A8 replica's. Don't think it's these as it's both front wheels which would be a coincidence. Will swop them round though.

With regards to sports suspension, GSF don't think there was a specific sports shock mount. Was it just the springs that were 20mm lower? If so then i'm guessing I have this with my KW kit? Or is it the bot that goes above the spring that is different?

It is annoying having the front higher than the rear as it looked awesome on coilovers. Only spent £600 changing them to get rid of the clunking! Was first thing I tried.

Bit of an update.

Clicking is still there but i've learnt to live with it.

However, this week, when i'm driving in a straight line, I have to hold the wheel slightly to the right!! Is this problem connected? I've checked tyre pressures.

Booked it in with Midland VW and will pay them to diagnose the issue but does anyone here know what would cause the steering to not be alligned? I've not hit any kerb/potholes recently

Alot of cars veer to the left. It's usually to do with the camber on the road to allow for rain drainage. See if the car veers to the right or runs straight in the right hand land of a dual carrageway.

You had your wheel alignment changed recently? Somw places don't take this into account.

On the clicking front. Can you get the car to click wth the clutch pedal depressed?
Are your brake calipers moving about?

I think I just need the wheels aligned in order to sort the steering.

With regards to the clicking, another garage thinks I may need a new top mount/bearing & cup as said ones I have are wrong. I think these were replaced with the new suspension but not sure.

Can anyone confirm if the part numbers are dfferent for these items for an A3 Quattro as opposed to just an A3 (1999 V Reg).