Noisy Fan & Wipers

JohnboyC

Reaction score
Hi all...

I have just noticed this on my 2003 Audi A4 Avant 2.5 TDi Q sport....

Doing an indicated speed of 80mph.....fan is set so that ECON is indicated (i.e Air con compressor is off), and with one vertical Air Speed setting illuminated, (I do find the noise from the ventilation system pretty noisy but it gets better as you slow down).......anyways.....I found that when I used the windscreen washers the noise stopped.....only to come back after about a minute after washing windscreen was completed

Does anyone elses A4 do this ? Seems well weird to me....

It's meant to stop the washer fluid smell from entering the cabin. Most washer fluids contain an alcohol of some description, and the fumes can be quite strong especially in the confines of a car.

Arthur....so does your car do the same thing......I was wondering if I fitted the two covers that cover the battery and area next to the battery if this would quieten the "windnoise" down ....

i must admit i have noticed that when driving at higher speeds the wind noise is louder, and i have to set exactly the same as you. 1st time i noticed it i thought i had my fans quite high so i went to turn them down but it was already on 1.

I find the noise quite obtrusive actually.....wonder if its better on the B7 version of the A4 ?

I have that cover on my car, and can honestly say that the wind noise is also intrusive on my car. It's only quiet when the fan is turned off.

PM sent John.

Same goes on my 04 Avant. The noise drops for a few seconds while the wipers run, then back it comes. Not overly noisey but can get on your bits on a long drive

I have honestly never noticed this :wacko: What noise do you mean - can you describe it better? Is it windnoise from the screen area - or noise from the ventilation fan? I never turn my a/c off, I keep it on auto all the time - does it only do it when ECON is on??

James, it sounds like wind noise from the windscreen, very evident at higher speeds (70mph). It is only evident when the fan is on, and can be both econ and non-econ. Try it, turn off the radio, get to 70mph, and then turn the fan/climate control off, so that the 2 temperature screens and the fan speed screen go blank, and you'll notice how much quieter the car is. It's quite loud when the fan is switched on(even on only the lowest fan speed setting), but very quiet when the fan is switched off, but it's very evident.

I've got the same. at first I thought it was just wind noise nut then when turning the air con system completely off the car is so much quieter and I can turn down the volume on the stereo again.

It just sounds like wind noise, but if you have got it, it'll be noticeably quieter when you switch off the climate control. You might be lucky.

I used to get bothered by this too, only answer I found was to press the buttons to select face & footwell vents only, the noise seems to be generated by the air coming throught the screen vents.