S4 Avant 1998 B5 brakes

SlipMat

Reaction score
Hi All

My S4 Avant now needs discs and pads all round. My friendly mechanic is quoting about £800 as he says that if you use non-genuine parts they are prone to squeeling a lot. I don't want to cut corners on brakes as they are so important - but £800 is too much. I am pretty good mechanically and have no problems working on cars (having raced & built cars for years!), but does anyone know if changing the discs is as simple as it should be, or are there any special tools needed? Also does anyone have any recommendations on makes & combinations of discs/pads to use or avoid? Any thoughts appreciated.
:think:

changing discs and pads arent difficult if you have a general knowledge of mechanics, the front is very straight forward and fairly self explanitory when you take the wheels off

the rear is abit more fiddly as you have to wind the rear pistons in to be able to fit the new pads, you can buy proper tool to do it, but i improvised using a socket /clamp and a screw driver

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel.html

look for article near the bottom of the first section

I'm looking at changing my brakes too on my 98 S4 so any recommendations would be helpful, something uprated maybe, be rude not too!

I've got the RS6+ brakes up front on mine and RS4 rears:

DSC00476.jpg

Awesome stopping power, but a little pricey!

S8 rears are a common 'budget' mod. The best value front upgrade is B5 RS4 brakes, but i'm not too sure how much better they are than the stock S4 ones.

I'd love the RS6s, but like you say, a bit pricey! A little out of my price range just now and prob for a very long time sadly!

I bought front and rear disks and pads for my s4 for £279, delivered. i think it was eurocar parts i used ( need to find receipt to check). you have choice of manufactures and i chose an OME one, would have been less if i had gone non OME. haven't got round to fitting rears, but for the job i bought a universal wind back cube off ebay.
The front pads take 5 mins, on an S4 no kidding and that is 4 pads each side, but the disks took a while as you have to undue the caliper bolts, which of course are tight and not easiest to access.

stapo69 said:
I'm looking at changing my brakes too on my 98 S4 so any recommendations would be helpful, something uprated maybe, be rude not too!

I have a pair of 1999 S4 calipers for sale now if that's any use? :) (had an RS4 set fitted).

stapo69 said:

Have you had a look on the ECS website they do some good big brake conversions prices are not to bad, or you can sources some calipers yourself and build your own brake conversion like i am doing.

Thanks All - I ordered the genuine Audi OEM discs & pads from Eurocar Parts yesterday... delivered today so I will give it a go on Saturday.

I have looked at some of the links and it looks quite simple - any pointers before I start appreciated.

Thanks