Bose

Nutkins

Reaction score
I know this has been done plenty, and I've read all the threads I can find, and basically there seems to be mixed views on the Bose upgrade... But I wonder if anyone that has got it has any experience of the Harmon Kardon system in the Mini's as a comparison? As that's the only manufacturer upgrade I have experience of (I though that was pretty great).

Any other general opinions on the Bose welcome of course but it's nice to have a reference point.

Can't compare with the HK set-up.
However, I did get to regularly compare Bose and non-Bose A3's.
I have Bose, my colleague's A3 didn't.
Putting it very simply, the non-Bose is better at low to mid volume.
Much better bass.
Once you get past mid volume, the standard set-up starts distorting and Bose takes over.
At the volume I listen at (about 15, which is quite loud) the standard set-up would be an absolute mess, but the Bose sounds fine.
I've had better sound in cars, but only when I did it all myself.
For an OE option, the Bose sounds fine.
It's nothing like as good as the Levinson set-up in a Lexus though, but it's nowhere near as dear either.
I've yet to hear how the B+O setup in the new A4 sounds.

I think most people would look for Bose at buying time over the STD setup!

If you play a lot of music and like it loud like i do ( too meny years DJ'in/playing in bands ) so i need it 1/2 - 3/4 volume most of the time then it's worth the upgrade!

You can get better sound than Bose for less if you go after market , it will still cost a fair amount and lots of messing around!

p

My A3 didnt come with bose but I upgraded to an aftermarket system which is fantastic!

Look into that and I doubt you will be disapointed if you like music!

How about things like imaging and point source. I think they're the right terms I'm certainly no expert! But I mean treble type sounds dancing around the cabin and generally giving the feel of a quality setup?

I have Bose in my car, and it is vastly better than the standard system, which sounds feeble and tinny in comparison. The Bose system is much clearer and has better bass at all volumes.

I find that it requires the volume set no higher than '8' normally, although this may be a function of which engine you have.

i just sold my girlfriends mini cooper s and that had harmon kardon.
it sounded good in the mini, but too much bass....

to me the bose in the audis sound a lot clearer, and crisper..

just my opinion tho...

Brookie-S3 said:
i just sold my girlfriends mini cooper s and that had harmon kardon.
it sounded good in the mini, but too much bass....

to me the bose in the audis sound a lot clearer, and crisper..

just my opinion tho...

Excellent thanks - yes loads of bass considering there's no sub! If the Bose sounds at least as good as the Mini setup I'll be well pleased.

Bose is good yes dotn get me wrong butin my old BMW i had Rockford Fosgate all round components and subs and amps...

The Rockford stuff is on par or better then the Bose but if you are looking for extremely good Audio go for either Focal, MTX or Rainbow.

I am currently upgrading all my bose stuff with MTX but am keeping all the Bose for when i sell it.

Depends how serious you are about your audio - if you're fairly serious give is a miss as IMHO it's rubbish compared to a custom well specced aftermarket setup.

I'm going to be ripping my bose system out in a few months and replacing it all.

Having said that i've heard a lot worse so it's not all doom and gloom.

S3IZZO said:
Depends how serious you are about your audio - if you're fairly serious give is a miss as IMHO it's rubbish compared to a custom well specced aftermarket setup.

I'm going to be ripping my bose system out in a few months and replacing it all.

Having said that i've heard a lot worse so it's not all doom and gloom.

Very true i have heard a lot worse ... i am GOing for MTX allround wanted Focal but a little bit pricey .. lol...

I got told it wasn't much cop but TBH I think for a standard fit system for your average joe its fine. Could do with a bit more bass but I can live with it and thats maybe cos I was used to an aftermarket system in my old car.

If you are not very serious about sound and like a good system that performs well Bose is good compared to standard.

You can get a lot better with aftermarket though, depends how important and how much money you want to spend. For me Bose suits me fine.

Pedro

Go for the focal - you will not be disappointed!! I have focal K2P's upfront and they are awesome!

Other than that, check out Diamond - excellent bits of kit!!

mfspen said:
The Bose system is much clearer and has better bass at all volumes.

I don't agree with this at all.
Non-Bose gives much better bass at low volumes (0-6), in my experience.
When it was here, my colleague's non-Bose A3 used to give low volume bass that my Bose simply can't muster.
Once you crank it up, no contest though.
:rockwoot:

bowfer said:
Non-Bose gives much better bass at low volumes (0-6), in my experience.
When it was here, my colleague's non-Bose A3 used to give low volume bass that my Bose simply can't muster.
That's odd. Was that comparison with the same tone control settings ?

I find with my Bose system that mid and treble on 0 and bass on +2 gives a natural tonal balance, and I never need the volume above 8 or 9.

mfspen said:
That's odd. Was that comparison with the same tone control settings ?

I find with my Bose system that mid and treble on 0 and bass on +2 gives a natural tonal balance, and I never need the volume above 8 or 9.

Settings are an individual thing, but I have everything whacked up to max.
It simply sounds crap otherwise, IMO.
More adjustment in the HU would make a difference.
This is backed up by my MD's set-up in a TT he used to own.
He put a Sony minidisc HU into the Bose set-up, and the sound was miles better than the Audi HU, with no other changes.