2.5V6 TDI Diesel timing check using Vagcom

Adam C

Mine a manual
Reaction score
Hi,

I have some performance issues with my 2001 2.5TDI Allroad - (massive engine shudder under heavy load / revs relieved by slipping clutch and 5 second idle) that has caused me to check the Diesel timing.
I'm using the TDI timing check build into Vagcom (my release 704) and monitoring group 4 basic settings as indicated for the AKE engine.

As soon as Vagcom fires up this setting the engine revs increase to about 825 RPM and there appears to be a diagnostic change in engine management in some sort of engine advance / ****** loop. The engine seams harsh for a period advanced / early and then smooth retarded / late - I can't find documentation on this.

The TDI plot is shown below. My engine appears to be a bit retarded - timing is ment to be 2deg ATDC +/- 2 - mine is at about 4.6 deg ATDC
I have some questions
1. Why does Vagcom say "please wait until injection is fully retarded"? This doesn't seam to change
2. What are the symptoms of a 2.6v6TDI being a little retarded and out of spec - i.e. power - drivability mpg etc?

Thanks for any input

Adam
2.5v6tdi_timing.gif

http://dev.voip.co.uk/~adam/vag/2.5v6tdi_timing.gif

As i just said to Turkster when my timing was very slightly out and minutely adjusted it made a noticeable difference to smoother running. You say revs increase to 825rpm, mine normally ticks over at around 800-850 on the rev counter so how low is your tickover? Sorry can't help with fault code, suggest you also post this on the VAGCOM board

Hi, well according to Vagcom, by normal tickover is 766 RPM. I'll post something on the vagcom board later. thanks