Dodgy temperature sender?

kohoutec

Reaction score
First off, hello all, my first post.

I bought a 2000 1.8T last weekend, which I love, first car I've had with any grunt and it hasnt failed to put a smile on my face yet...

I've noticed the temperature gauge is somewhat erratic, and rarely gets up to 90. At first I thought it was probably the thermostat, but then found a page that explains how to get certain readings out of the climate control unit, including coolant temperature.

So, have checked actual coolant temperature which is bang on 90 degrees when warmed up according to the climate control readout, so assume it must be some sort of temperature sender causing the problem? Trouble is I know ****** all about cars, so don't really know where to start, tried looking at a couple of parts sites but not sure

a) what I need, or
b) if its something I could fit myself (I'm sort of hoping its just a case of unplug old one plug in new!)

If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

There is a coolant temp sensor on the side of the head, really easy to replace and about 25 quid from a dealer. That sensor is for the engine management, im not sure if it has a seperate sensor for the gauge or not. im sure someone will be along soon to confirm.

S3 Dave said:
What number are you looking at on the read- out as there is more than one.

Number 51 on the readout, pretty sure thats correct, it goes up as car warms up, stops bang on 90 and stays there.

Thanks for the link that's really helpful, a mate of mine is a mechanic so would be doing it with his supervision ;)

try putting that code on with the engine not running but with the ignition on, i think you will find it will still rise to 90!! could be wrong tho

dantheman1986 said:
try putting that code on with the engine not running but with the ignition on, i think you will find it will still rise to 90!! could be wrong tho

Really? I'll give it a go tonight...If that's the case though then whats the point of it, or should I be using a different code?

Fitted a new sender this morning and the gauge is working fine now :)