Bit of winter advice - tyre pressures

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I know most of you guys know this or have done this.

Over the past week i have noticed that the car understeers and slids more on the road due to the colder weather and crap on the road

so last night i dropped the tyre pressures down a couple of psi's so its now running 37psi (F) and 35psi (R) instead of the 40psi (F) and 38 (R) which i ran in the summer.

the grip has increased so much more.

might be worth doing if you have not already done so.

The sticker on my car says 38F/35R for up to 3 people in the car, which is what I have always used.

mfspen said:
The sticker on my car says 38F/35R for up to 3 people in the car, which is what I have always used.

Yep me to

Stupid question: where can I check the tyres current pressure. I know at petrol station you can set for it to inflate to a specific pressure but can it measure current psi too?

Just buy a digital tyre pressure checker from halfrauds - they aren't expensive and it means you can check your tyres when they are cold.

garypaul said:
Just buy a digital tyre pressure checker from halfrauds - they aren't expensive and it means you can check your tyres when they are cold.

Gotcha. Are those digital infaltors any good too?

richjohnhughes said:
sure mine says 35f and 32r on 18s????
You were right !

Just re-checked, and 38/35 is for a fully loaded car.
35/32 is for up to 3 people, which is what my tyres are set to. No problems with understeer at these pressures.

It could be that the Quattro needs higher pressures of course.

garypaul said:
Nope should be 38f 35r

Those are diesel pressures ( 18" wheels )
Same loaded or unloaded.
Anything else makes the car feel awful.

bowfer said:
Those are diesel pressures ( 18" wheels )
Same loaded or unloaded.
Anything else makes the car feel awful.

nope -just double checked and confirmed that the recommended tyre pressures for my car (2.0T fwd with 18" wheels) are 38f and 35r

garypaul said:
nope -just double checked and confirmed that the recommended tyre pressures for my car (2.0T fwd with 18" wheels) are 38f and 35r

But only fully loaded.

That's what I meant.
The diesel is 38F / 35R regardless of load.
The petrol obviously differentiates between loads.

garypaul said:
No it is 38/35 up to three people, over three people it is 41/41
Not on my car.
Maybe there are different versions of the sticker, depending on make of tyre. Mine are Contis.

If its 38f / 35r for up to three people and 41f / 41r for over three people, assuming the wheels are 18" and OEM, with OEM tyres, what would be the correct pressure for two people in the front, two in the back, of which one is an 8 yr old plus a cat and the wifes shopping! (forgot to mention, both in the front are adults, one of them is hard of hearing and the weather is fine, but fine rain is expected within the hour)?

Sorry, no offense necessary, just had to laugh at these previous threads!:p

So what is it for A4 18s RS6 wheels on my A3 2.0 TDI?? Just got 35f/32r.

Well my fuel flap says 33f/30r for 18s on a 2WD 3-door TDI S-Line with standard RS6 wheels and 36f/39r fully laden. That's a hell of a difference at the back between std and laden and also very different to any above....

If anything I'd have expected the diesel to have higher standard front pressures than a 2.0T petrol because of the heavier engine lump.

alfiejts said:
Well my fuel flap says 33f/30r for 18s on a 2WD 3-door TDI S-Line with standard RS6 wheels and 36f/39r fully laden. That's a hell of a difference at the back between std and laden and also very different to any above....
If anything I'd have expected the diesel to have higher standard front pressures than a 2.0T petrol because of the heavier engine lump.

That's helluva different from my 38f/35r.
If I let my tyres drop to 33f/30r, the handling, grip and steering goes all to pot.
Go try 38f/35r and see what you think.
It's the cheapest and easiest way to make a difference to your car!
I don't get any untoward wear on the tyres to suggest it's too hard either.