Router Question

gkf9

Reaction score
I am currently with Virgin (cable) and have a wireless router set up.
Will be moving very shortly to a non cable area...can anyone tell me if my router a D-Link 634m will work with ADSL....Am geting abit confused to what
a ADSL router is? Does it mean it just has a modem built in?

If so i take it that i can just use my original router but will need to to plug the new isp"s modem into it??

Hope you understand as IT is not my area by any means!!!

Thanks inadvance

Taken from dlink.co.uk

"DSL-xxxx Products include a built in ADSL modem - no other modem is required.
DI-xxxx Products do not include an ADSL modem and are intended for use with Cable Modems. However, a DSL-300T (ADSL Ethernet Modem) can be use with DI-xxx products to enable them for use on ADSL networks."

I believe you have a Dl-634m which is a wireless router only. Most ISPs will send you (or sell you at reduced cost), a wireless ADSL router. For example if you sign up with BT on option 3 you get their home hub thrown in.

Hope this helps.

JohnS3 said:
Taken from dlink.co.uk

"DSL-xxxx Products include a built in ADSL modem - no other modem is required.
DI-xxxx Products do not include an ADSL modem and are intended for use with Cable Modems. However, a DSL-300T (ADSL Ethernet Modem) can be use with DI-xxx products to enable them for use on ADSL networks."

I believe you have a Dl-634m which is a wireless router only. Most ISPs will send you (or sell you at reduced cost), a wireless ADSL router. For example if you sign up with BT on option 3 you get their home hub thrown in.

Hope this helps.

Thanks John for the reply...Its just that the router i have now is all set up for my Mac ibook and Xbox and dint want to go through the pain of reconfiguring it all again.

It does have a modem ethernet cable slot on the back...just thought i would be able to plug the new modem straight in to the router and away i go??

Or does it not work like that?

Thanks again

As mentioned in the dlink blurb, you could get a DSL-300T and plug it in. You'd have to configure that to talk to your new ISP, but all your other settings for your Mac and Xbox should be OK. There's a few on ebay now.

By the way, I'm a fellow Mac user too! :icon_thumright:

you could if you like, buy a wired ADSL router

configure the ADSL router to connect to the internet.

connect one of the ports on the wired ADSL router to the internet port on the back of your Cable Wireless router

Ok thanks alot peeps for your posts...think i will just get a ADSL router with my chosen ISP provider so its compatible as JohnS3 mentioned earlier.(no point buying another).

Just hope its easy to set up...should be really with the Mac..cant do with out my internet!!!

Thanks alot again very usefull!!:thumbsup: