Help with clips for front bumper lower grille

comdw

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
The lower grille fell off the front bumper of my pre-facelift S3 sometime ago. Unfortunately there were no clips left on it, so I had to trust Audi to get me the right clips. I got the clips and had the bumper off at the weekend but to my dismay they are the wrong ones.

The thing is i'm not entirely sure what the clips should look like as the plastic tabs don't protrude that much. How will I know what the correct ones look like when I next go to Audi? Does anyone know what they are supposed to look like, based on the following pics:

View of tabs from inside front bumper
Same view with grille on, tabs protruding
The (wrong) clip audi gave me
The actual grille showing the 11 slots for the tabs

I think madvw had the same problem, try doing a search or pm him. I'm not sure if he ever managed to get them or not, i know audi were giving him the runaround tho.

Did a search and found that thread where madvw posted. Sounds like he had the same problem as me - the 8L9807180 clips were no good (thats the clips I have in the picture).

He goes on to describe the correct ones he got, but it sounded like a bit of a mission to get Audi to find these and there is no part number (will try PM):

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=31517

madvw said:
i'll try and describe them... they are kind of like a U clip, but the tops of the U meet and have teeth on. The grille has holes (11) in it, and the grille frame has 11 lugs which poke though these holes. These lugs dont have retaining clips moulded on, instead you need these metal clips which slide on the frame lugs, sandwiching on the seperate grille. The teeth on the clips, and the tension in the clip retains the clip on the lug.

The clips which AUDI kept supplying were too long, and had one side of the U longer than the other, so they wouldnt clp on basically - exactly the same as the ones in the pics you sent me. The new ones sit flush up to the end of the lug, and both sides are the same length.

comdw said:
Did a search and found that thread where madvw posted. Sounds like he had the same problem as me - the 8L9807180 clips were no good (thats the clips I have in the picture)

there is no part number (will try PM)

How about here:confused:

madvw said:
The new part number for the Facelift 8L S3 Lower Front Grille Clip is:

A8L9 807 807 (CLIP)

and are 35p each

Mine's not a facelift though. Also several Audi places said 807807 was identical to 807180, just an updated part. Guess I could take a look at it though.

There's no difference in pre or post facelift bumpers as far as i'm aware/can tell having seen both off the cars other than some slats at the wing sides of the bumper

OK so actually 807807 is the old part that you can no longer get from Audi (replaced by 807180). My local Audi basically recommended replacing the entire bumper (!!) or just gluing the grille back on.

However according to the stock database there is one Audi (in the entire country) with these clips still on the shelf, so I've arranged to have them sent to me. Let's hope they are the right ones this time.

Edit again...

yep, that part number above was supposed to be the "new" part number for the clips... is it not available again?

all i can suggest is get your dealer to harass audi uk. mine did, and they got on the case to re-manufacture a correct part. It involved lots of digital photo's by audi and a visit by some chap from audi uk parts .

madvw said:
EDIT: actually, my part number may not be relevant, as you say your's isn't a facelift? However you say it has 11 lugs? IIRC, the pre-facelift kit contains 10 clips, whereas the facelift contains 11. In reality though, i wouldn't trust either of them, as neither fitted mine - just the new ones. I'll have a dig about.

It appears the bumper grilles maybe independent of pre-facelift vs facelift. My car was only about a month before facelifts came along... Definitely 11 lugs anyway, don't know if you can tell anything from the pics I posted at the top of the thread.

the clips in you picture are definitely the wrong version - they look the same as the ones that they kept sending me (well, my dealer).

It took a number of conversations between the parts manager and audi uk to get them to believe that they didnt fit.

The part numbers I quoted in my thread were the brand new remanufactured part that fitted my grille. The new clips looked nothing like the old ones.

madvw said:
the clips in you picture are definitely the wrong version - they look the same as the ones that they kept sending me (well, my dealer).

It took a number of conversations between the parts manager and audi uk to get them to believe that they didnt fit.

The part numbers I quoted in my thread were the brand new remanufactured part that fitted my grille. The new clips looked nothing like the old ones.

So the re-manufactered part must have a part number. Pity Audi's parts database has not been updated to show it.

comdw said:
So the re-manufactered part must have a part number. Pity Audi's parts database has not been updated to show it.

they do, as somebody has already quoted from my other post:

A8L9 807 807 (CLIP)

order 11 of them.

Should come to about £4 not inc. vat.

But, as I said earlier, A8L9 807 807 is the part I did order! This is the part they are saying they no longer supply and it has been replaced with A8L9 807 180!

I have managed to source the A8L9 807 807 part from an Audi that still had it on the shelf, still waiting for it to arrive to see if its the right one.

I think thats part of the problem. There's a mistake on the cross referencing of parts somewhere. Some other model has this part number listed as fitting some other trim part, so they keep messing about with it.