Warning symbol (0) help please

campbell

Reaction score
hiya

this symbol (0) popped up in yellow when driving home tonight in the DIS display has anyone any idea what it means?

before you ask, i havent got a manual as it didnt come with the car lol.

i thought it was a brakelight out but it wasnt, thanks in advance

Lee

its the low pad wear light,so your brake pads are either low,or a wire has broken putting the warning lamp on,hope this helps:hi:

superb response, checked both front pads and they both have plenty of meat left on them, the rears were changed few months back. looks like a broken wire then, how can these be fixed or replaced?

cheers for the fast response

easiest way is to remove the wheels and check the wires by pulling them to see if they are broken not too hard though as you may break them,lol.maybe not sure if the rears have pad wear im sure they will have so maybe when the rear pads were changed they didnt connect the pad wear wires correctly,so basically remove the wheels and have a look thats the easiest option.Im not sure if you can replace just the wires i think you may need pads as well but not too sure.

The back brakes don't have a wear indicator on them on ly the fronts. Have you check all four pads on the front as they don't wear evenly? I think the inner pads wear faster than the outer pads. The best way to check them though is to take the wheels off.

just had a look at both front wheels and i found a broken wire on the nearside brake pad. correct me if im wrong but is that the design of the brake pad to wear down and then wear down the wires which in turn activates the warning symbol in the dash??

therefore will i need new brake pads on the front? there is plenty of meat still left on the inner and outer brake pads.

i also noticed the bushes were split on the trailing arm!

cheers
Lee

i think once the pads wear low the sensor then touches or nearly touches the disc therfore putting the light on,well thats how it works on trucks and prob the same on most cars.i think new pads are needed mate

ok cheers Danotto, where is the best place to buy some? also i need to replace the bushes so is it worth replacing the whole set on standard audi ones or powerflex??

i think standard pads will suffice. the car is on 63K, i have heard not to change to powerflex bushes on the rear?? in your opinion Danotto would it worth changing the lot to the ones on ebay?

cheers again

its really your descision i dont want to give bad advice as a friend of mine has fitted these bushes all round and says they are superb but do make the ride quite hard,it all depends on how you drive if you are planning on track days or just hard conering then powerflex are the ones to get. but if someelse has told you otherwise the its really your desicion,when mine wear i will be fitting the powerflex bushes but might not fit the dogbone bushes as these will give a hard ride which i dont want,hope this helps

i like cornering hard most days lol, that price on ebay is quite expensive because i have priced everything up on the powerflex website and it came to 74pounds, can you tell me what size my :

front bar anti roll bar mount is on 2002 audi S3 please?

also were can i get std brake pads from?
thanks again

not too sure on the size bushes someone else will probably come along and tell you that lol.for pads id either go gsf.co.uk or ebay,all do the same job as genuwine ones but cheaper

If you connect the wires together in a loop (short them) the light will go off.
No damage will be caused.

Does the S3 have a trailing arm, do you mean TCA (track control arm) which connects the shock absorber to the anti-roll bar and to the chassis?

one wire has broke clean and i cannot see were it connects, the pads have plenty left on both sides.

yes i do mean the TCA, sorry to sound dumb but how do you remove the front brake setup off the disc?
i have tried removing the allen key bolts (which have 2 rubber bungs protecting them) and removed the two 18mm set screws....what else needs to be donw

thankyou

ok i have snapped the wire clean off and i have taped the sensor up temporary. i put the pads back in and tightened everything up but when i parked the car back up the brake pedal is making a noise when depressed, i am pretty sure the pedal didnt make this noise before, is this normal?

i havent undone any blead nipples or anything, it isnt losing brake fluid, i took the car for a drive and it doesnt stop as quick once fully pressed , has anyone any ideas of what could of caused this or what it is?

thanks

Sorry to bump an old ish thread but my S3 is showing the (0) symbol.

If I replace the front pads will the sensors pick this up and remove the warning or does it need to be reset by audi?

Ian

Ian_GSi16v said:
Sorry to bump an old ish thread but my S3 is showing the (0) symbol.

If I replace the front pads will the sensors pick this up and remove the warning or does it need to be reset by audi?

Ian

Hi

The warning light will go away as its just a connection that breaks when the wear sensor is activated/broken

campbell said:
ok i have snapped the wire clean off and i have taped the sensor up temporary. i put the pads back in and tightened everything up but when i parked the car back up the brake pedal is making a noise when depressed, i am pretty sure the pedal didnt make this noise before, is this normal?

i havent undone any blead nipples or anything, it isnt losing brake fluid, i took the car for a drive and it doesnt stop as quick once fully pressed , has anyone any ideas of what could of caused this or what it is?

thanks

You still got this problem?

This happened to me a few weeks ago. The brake pad warning light as far as I know has the exclamation mark in the middle ((!)), however my light had nothing and was juat a (()). Anyway it came on twice and hasnt come on since. Dont have a clue what it was though.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=45314

i dont have this problem anymore because i stripped the wires and connected them in a loop and taped up- the brake pads have loads of life still left in them so aslong as i know that ,im happy taping the wires up.

the sensor cut broke due to the fact the front discs have a slight lip on
them, i will replace the front discs, pads once i need too.

thanks guys for the advice

Lee

KEF9 one of those symbols is brake pad wear (0) the other (!) is for brake fluid level.

Campbell I did the same with mine, the junction where the wires emerge from the pad material seems to be really weak and thats where mine broke, I just jointed and taped like you mentioned.

Glad its all okay.

Just finished doing my brakes - question is on the wear indicator. I have connected the new wear indicator up but still get the warning light when I turn on the ignition. Have I missed something?

Hmm, interesting. I'll double check it tonight in that case. Cheers all